Collection on Credit Report

DangerouslyShy

First of all let me say Hello to everyone:)++ .

I hope everyone had a happy holiday.

My issue is I just found out I was in collections when I received a alert from myfico.com because I went below my target score. The thing is it is from an apartment that I lived in earlier this year, I gave them my P.O. Box to forward any mail. Long story short, I didnt receive any documentation about the collection because they sent it to the P.O. Box in August 2006, and I stopped renting the P.O. Box a few months before then. So I never knew I was in collections, or else I would have taken care of it. They then sent it to my parents home, where I do not live.

So I called the CA as soon as I saw the information on my CR, and inquired about what it was for. I told them I never received any documentation, and they stated in August they sent the letter to the P.O. Box I told them it was not mine at that time. They then stated they sent it to my parents home, I told them that is not my current address. I ended up paying the 170, and asked to speak to a supervisor to see if I can get this off my credit report, because I never knew that I was in collections. I got their voicemail, so I left a msg. I called again today, asked to speak to a supervisor and recieved voicemail again, and left another message. I have not even received a response from the first call that I made last week.

I have been working on my credit score for a year and a half, to get it higher to buy a home. I have nodebt, late payments and The only balance I really have is my car and my student loans.

My credit score was 499 last year and it went up to 610, this collection has brought it back down to 526.

Is there ANY WAY I can get this off my credit report, I was supposed to be buying my first home in May of this upcoming year, and really need my score to be as high as possible.

This has really messed me up and any help would be so greatly appreciated. It almost feels like I did all this work to be right back where I started.:(

Should I send one of those nutcase or goodwill letters to the CEO of the CA?

Thanks In advance

Your best bet is this-

Find out what the statute of limitations is in your state regarding the number of days a landlord has to return your deposit or bill you for damages not covered by a deposit. For example, in the state of Indiana, a landlord has 45 days to do this. It would be my opinion that if this notice was sent after your state law requires, you can get them for not providing the communication within the required amount of days. I'm certainly not a credit expert and I'm certainly not an attorney, but it's something you should look into given that it seems as though quite a period lapsed from the time you left to the time they sent the notice.

If your state says it has to be done within 45 days and they didn't send it out for 90, I'd threaten a lawsuit.

Your best bet is this-

Find out what the statute of limitations is in your state regarding the number of days a landlord has to return your deposit or bill you for damages not covered by a deposit. For example, in the state of Indiana, a landlord has 45 days to do this. It would be my opinion that if this notice was sent after your state law requires, you can get them for not providing the communication within the required amount of days. I'm certainly not a credit expert and I'm certainly not an attorney, but it's something you should look into given that it seems as though quite a period lapsed from the time you left to the time they sent the notice.

If your state says it has to be done within 45 days and they didn't send it out for 90, I'd threaten a lawsuit.

I was just looking for that information. I was living in PA at the time, so I would have to look for the SOL in PA correct? I couldnt find anything, is there a list of SOL's anywhere?