Using *67 when Calling Collectors

gcmoore

If I call a bill collector's phone number with actual area code, using *67 can they still obtain my phone number? There is an 800 number listed but I know they'll get my number if I call that. Or if I use a calling card from a home phone will that hide my number? Thanks

*67 does not work when calling an 800 number. Since the person you're calling is paying for the call, they're entitled to access the origin of it.

Most CA's have equipment that will give them instant access to any number calling into their toll free number.

I've already stated that I know *67 doesn't work with 800 numbers. I was asking if it would work, if I called their main number with actual "area code" for their state?

I've already stated that I know *67 doesn't work with 800 numbers. I was asking if it would work, if I called their main number with actual "area code" for their state?

I know some CA's who have some pretty sophisticated trapping equipment to capture phone numbers; you might not want to risk it. You might consider using a pay phone.

Asked someone I know that works for AT&T.

*67 does not work when calling 800, 877 and 888 numbers. It also does not work when calling a hospital, police, or other emergency services.

But line blocking service, if offered by your carrier, does work against 800/877/888 numbers.

I know some CA's who have some pretty sophisticated trapping equipment to capture phone numbers; you might not want to risk it. You might consider using a pay phone.

I've been using a pay phone, but it's a bit awkward as there isn't much privacy. Guess I'll have to search for a phone in a more private area, but there aren't many. I thought of calling information for the number, and using the option to be connected directly to the business for no charge. But I'm not sure if that would work.

Asked someone I know that works for AT&T.

*67 does not work when calling 800, 877 and 888 numbers. It also does not work when calling a hospital, police, or other emergency services.

But line blocking service, if offered by your carrier, does work against 800/877/888 numbers.

Yes I did know about this. Just wasn't sure how it would work calling a collectors main number with their state area code. I was curious if a collector would have some special feature to even get a number that way.