Junk Collections / SOL

JellyBean

I have been browsing many good postings concerning JDB, and SOL, but none seem to completely apply to my situation since, in my case, the collectors don't actually know where I am. I have learned that JDBs are trying to collect on a debt that is over 15 years old because they sent a letter to a relatives home (addressed to me). There is no hint of suing or judgments in this letter; it is merely a common introduction. The JDB is in Illinois, and I am in Georgia.

Being that they have no idea where to look for me, should I go ahead and send the JDB a DV, or a C&D, or should I ignore them entirely until they do find me? Typically, I would ignore such a letter, but JDBs today would seem to be in the illegal habit of putting an ancient debt back on the credit report as if it just occurred, and then seeking judgment, which would be hard to reverse.

Incidentally, I gladly tried to pay this debt to the OC years ago, but they would not accept my money insisting that I go through the debt collectors. It was difficult to do that since they never could tell me who owned the debt or who to pay, as they don't track this information. :-(

Some people try to be invisible, but there are so many ways to be found now. My worry is not just the CR placement, but a JDB suing you at an old address and taking a default. So I might send a C&D letter wherein you firmly tell tham is it outside the SOL and any further attempts to collect it ( including by smashing your credit) will be a violation. Can't hurt.

Thank you for your interest, and kind advice.

I will write the collectors a C&D using the sample letter provided, but I think I will also put in the lower portion of the DV sample letter that states that I will sue them if they tamper with my Credit Report. The two portions combined should make an effective letter.