Negotiate with CA or OC

argento05

I have a debt that is owed to my dogs vet that I want to pay. It has

been turned over to a CA who has listed it on my credit reports. I

don't think that the OC has sold the debt to the CA.

Can I negotiate with the OC to pay the debt in exchange for them

contacting the CA to withdraw the negative listing?

I have read NOT to pay the OC but to negotiate ONLY with the CA. Is

this true? Has anyone tried the above approach?

TIA

I had a similar debt with a vet but I always handle my accounts with the "original creditor"...I never deal with the collection agencies! I think you will find that most people on the forum do not either! You can ask the vet if they will accept full payment with the contingency of removing the collection account off your credit report. Do everything in writing and do not send any payment unless they sign an agreement to remove it otherwise you will have a difficult time getting it off your credit report. It has worked for me! :tempted:

Ok I am confused because I have been following the information given on the credit info center website and it states:

"If a debt is with a collection agency, the original creditor (OC) is not going to deal with you. The OC has collected its tax benefits under US tax law for bad debts, and "cut the ties" with the debt. You are now dealing with the collection agency."

I am feverishly trying to settle a debt with a friggin CA and they refuse to respond the settlement letter I keep sending to them via certified mail!

So bottom line is, should I now go to the OC and see if they will try and settle. The debt appeared on my CR in 2005 for a 1 month's unpaid rent ($1,314). I am trying to settle if for 25% of the amount.

HELP!!!