When to accept CC offers after BK?

tiredtiredtired

I had my 341 meeting on December 4, 2006. I've begun to receive CC offers in the mail (Household so far) and I would like to know when I may accept one of these offers. Since my BK isn't official until the 60 days after filing, is it too soon? Will this affect my BK?

I'm looking to get one card and use it sparingly so that I may begin building credit again.

Thanks!

T3

Your bankruptcy was "official" the day it was FILED and given a case number !!

You are not allowed to incur any new debt during the BK and you should absolutely NOT accept any 'offers' before your discharge. The Trustee isn't going to tell you anything, it's not his/her job, ask your LAWYER - but he/she should tell you no as well.

I would not accept any 'offers' at all until you've done some preliminary credit report clean-up AFTER your discharge. The things you're getting in the mail now are probably pretty BAD anyway. Wait, do some repair, then YOU decide who to apply to for new cards, don't just jump on anything that appears in your mailbox because they sent it to you. These companies prey on the newly bankrupt and they WILL screw you over with nasty rates, nastier fees, and they aren't usually the best choices you might have a bit later. Most definitely DO NOT jump on anything from First Premier or the like that 'offers' you a $250 card that comes to you pre-loaded with $225 worth of fees !!!

Thank you Lady for your help once again!

I think that's good advice. I have NO intention of getting into any out-of-hand debt situation again. I have read on this site and elsewhere, that to build credit one should get a card and use it once a month or so (I would limit it to $50.00), then pay it in full each month. I make a pretty decent living, but before my BK ALL of my cash was going to rent and a DMP. I could easily maintain a small balance on a CC and pay it each month and that's what I hope to do. As you point out, however, it's best to do these things slowly and in a calculated manner.

Thanks again!!

T3