Capital One old account and SOL

rbdaniel

Hello everyone

I am really new here and I am trying to piece together all your info in this forum. I have a question on some Collection calls I started getting recently.

I had an old Capital One Credit card that was defaulted back in 1996 or so. I think it was charged-off but I am not sure. The reason why I am writing here is because I have copies of my credit report from 2004 until now and I can not see the specific credit card. My wife answered the phone to one of the collection calls and was told that they are collecting on a Capital One Credit card and that it was not charged-off as a matter of fact they said I had made payments recently as to imply the SOL did not applied any longer.

My wife asked them to send proof of payment and their information to us.

One thing that she noticed is that they had my old old address from 2000, My wife did not rectify address ( I have family members living there now and could get letter forwarded to me).

I need to know if there is a way I can check records from back in 1997- 2006

from a card no longer listed in at credit reporting agencies.

What would be my next step? can I send them an SOL letter anyhow?

Also, credit was open in Nebraska, moved to Florida in 1996 and just moved to GA in 2006.

What is more confusing is that I have 3 credit cards with Capital One and my credit now is very good. I do not want to damage my credit now.

Thank you

Daniel

This is a scam!!! Plain and simple the item in question is not on your credit reports because 10 years have passed!!! It is unlikely the "OC" Capital One has old records and frankly who cares!! You must be incredibly careul when dealing with collection agencies! If the debt wasn't sold to them why do they have it there office? You do not pay 10 year old debts that is just crazy and frankly stupid!! They are lying and yes collection agencies lie all the time dont ever forget this!! You said the charge-off or first time 30 days late was a decade ago then nothing else matters even if you did make some payment few years ago that does not restart the sol depending on your state. You simply send this collection agency a Debt Validation letter ,a formal and legal demand to prove that you owe the debt and to present you with the "complete payment history"and no a bill printout is not proof they must have the original contract and original signature. If they do not have everything list in your debt validation notice they cannot collect this old account! You will sue them in small claims court for violating the Federal Fair Debt & Collections Practices Act and collect a $1,000 for each violation! If they do have the complete payment history and including the payment from a few years ago then you are going to have to negotiate a payoff but only if they can prove it!! The good news this cannot appear on your credit report because this is out of reporting statue.

Hello guys

Thank you for your replies. I have a few questions for you.

My family members say that they have not seem any mail for me, I am not going to swear on that; I was thinking about calling them and give them my current address or call them and get their address to send them SOL or Debt Validation letters, bad idea?

Also, the agency is Capital Management and (864) 331-xxxx number.. Never heard of them. I am curious to know which credit card are they refering to. Again, my credit report does not show anything charged-off or derrogatory, Are there 2 different report?

as in the one Mortgage companies see and what you can see?

One more thing, why would I need to send them a Debt Validation letter, Why not a SOL letter or a Cease and Desist Collection Efforts letter?

I was thinking that if they have or can verify paper work and debt it is still

in SOL territory what comes first or what is more important?

If it is in SOL then they can not collect right? So, even if they have proper

docs, I still have SOL in my defense.

Thank you

Daniel

Hello again

So, I was reviewing the Dispute and SOL letters and have a question.

I need to know the CC# and the dates that the account was first

listed as in default. How do I find that out? My current reports (all 3)

do not show the card nor any charge-offs. How do I dispute something that is not listed in my credit report? What am I missing? I will keep looking around..

Thank you..

Daniel

Say something like:

In regards to your recent correspondence, I have determined that the statute of limitations has passed on this extremely old account. This account is also too old to even appear on my credit reports.

Since this account is so old, I have no way of knowing if it is legitimate and I am not going to pay it. Ever.

Signed,

You