Bank of America checking account with an MBNA chargeoff?

pulpfiction

My credit situation bombed almost two years ago--resulting in an MBNA chargeoff (which was assigned to the evil Wolpoff bottom feeders, whose arbitration garbage I have kept at bay since..)

Anyway, I recently opened a checking account at Bank of America (who bought out MBNA.) I've heard terrific things about their secured card, and hope to get one in the near future.

Considering that MBNA and BOA are now one in the same....should I be leery of having an account there? Could they possibly take whatever money I put into my checking account and put it towards my MBNA chargeoff without my permission? Am I playing with fire here? Hope not...as it'd be great to not only take advantage of the BOA 'keep the change' check card program, but to get a secured card with a prime bank like BOA and eventually have it convert to unsecured.

Thanks!

I think you're playing with fire. Consider National City instead.

I agree with Direred that you are playing with fire, however, I have had a National City account, formally Provident Bank, for many years and I find them to be horendous! It quite possibly may be just the ones I am dealing with but even as of today, I have called National City several times trying to get a correction of something as simple as a "non-working telephone number" listed by them on my credit report and I find them to be most incompetent!! I wanted to check on a corrected report which was being sent to them by the credit bureau and I could not find out where exactly it went! My credit report is floating around on someone's desk at National City and they can't tell me anything!!! ::BigGun::

BoA COULD possibly do an offset on your new bank account for an old MBNA charge-off, but it's unlikely, especially if the bad debt was sold off to a JDB. Once it's sold to a JDB, the bank has gotten their money for the account, written if off and are not going to do anything to collect from you directly.

BoA COULD possibly do an offset on your new bank account for an old MBNA charge-off, but it's unlikely, especially if the bad debt was sold off to a JDB. Once it's sold to a JDB, the bank has gotten their money for the account, written if off and are not going to do anything to collect from you directly.

While this is true, they are exceedingly unlikely to approve you, either. They're picky about their secured cards. I've had one for two years, my FICO score is 100 points higher, and it's *still* secured.

So, I don't know if I was exaggerating earlier, but it's at the least a waste of an inquiry.

The debt hasnt been sold to a JDB. It's gone through the Wolpoff arbitration crap..but I've fended off the arbitration and they wont see a dime from me.

My question is..can they LEGALLY grab the money from my bank account without a judgement?