Help with a Paid charge off!!!

dconley7

Hi,

This is my first post on this board and after reading many post I find myself really confused on the best course of action for several of my credit problems. I'll start with a Verizon Wireless account that shows as:

Paid,Closed/Account charged off. $457 written off

Date Opened: 10/2002

Date of Status: 05/2005

Reported Since: 05/2004

Last Reported Date: 05/2005

I paid of the balance to NCO financial in 2004. How should I go about having this account deleted from my CR? I've read other post that say DV, some "Not mine" "No knowledge of account" "to be deleted upon payment per agrement" etc.

Thanks for the help

-----Updated------

OK, I sent a goodwill letter to the CEO last night and I got a call today from someone in the executive relations department. The lady seemed to be understanding and very friendly and told me that if I reopen my verizon account (they will wave all fees to reinstate service) they will remove the charge off from my credit reports after 6 months of service and they will put it in writing in the contract.

Any thoughts???

Paid collections and chargeoffs are almost impossible to get rid of. I still have one on my CR that has been on there since I paid it in 2002. That paid CO is what started me on credit repair. Luckily, it falls off in October.

I may be suing over a paid chargeoff soon.

Paid charge-off's are indeed nearly impossible to get deleted. The others are correct,send letter to Verizon call customer service dept to get correct address and dept to mail.Then explain the item is now paid and they have no further incentive to keep this account on record. Understand they most likely will not be moved you should have negotiated before sending in payment and once you received letter from them that details how item will appear; (deleted)in this case then you send in payment and if they dont comply you would have the letter to send to the credit bureaus. Remember next time. I hope this helps!!

There is nothing the AG can do with it. If the TL is reporting correctly, you are stuck with it.
Yup, you're right. I also went on a collection-paying spree in 2002 and still have one neg on each of my reports, each from a different OC. Unfortunately, they are all reporting exactly correctly. Two are due to drop off in 2008 and one in 2009. They're not causing much damage anymore, but I still get annoyed every time I see them jeering at me from my reports.:evil: (An odd thing about it is that all were originally reporting to all three CRAs. I disputed, all came back verified, so I sent goodwill letters to the CEOs. Each OC then requested two of the three CRAs to delete the TLs. However, the third CRA to which they still reported was different for each OC. I don't know if that is just coincidence or if there is some unwritten policy they have about never deleting from all three CRAs so that they can honestly say that they are still reporting the TL. But the one still-reporting CRA to be different for each OC is just odd.xheadscratchx)

dconley: I had no luck with goodwill letters with Verizon. I sent a few trying to get one 30-day late (which was actually a 10-day late) deleted. In response I received a call from one of the CEO's assistants who cheerily told me that "We can't by law report inaccurate information." I didn't want the entire TL to be deleted due to its longevity so I let it go. A few months later Verizon deleted the entire TL anyway under their current policy of only reporting severely delinquent accounts to the CRAs (to save money).

I think that there should be a law that states that if you pull reports, you are required to report ALL tradelines, good and bad, to the CRA that you pulled the report from. After all, the mantra is that they can't delete negatives from your CR, because the sanctity of the American credit system relies on accurate reporting.

OK, I sent a goodwill letter to the CEO last night and I got a call today from someone in the executive relations department. The lady seemed to be understanding and very friendly and told me that if I reopen my verizon account (they will wave all fees to reinstate service) they will remove the charge off from my credit reports after 6 months of service and they will put it in writing in the contract.

Any thoughts???

If they're willing to put that in writing, I'd take it. I wouldn't count on getting anywhere with Verizon directly... I had to take them to court over my paid CO (and I had a lot of evidence against them for reporting violations).

I wish they had offered me that deal!

I have one paid charge-off listed on my report. It has been charged off since 06/02 they are saying, and every year since, I have been trying to get it removed without any luck.

My best chance now is that I received my payment history from the original creditor which shows I went delinquent way before 06/02. So if I can get it back from the date I first went delinquent proceeding the charge off, as per the rules, I should be able to remove it this time. (I hope)

The point is don't stop trying and try and get your payment history from the creditor. Chanches are if they don't have it, then how can they report it correctly!

• 2 weeks later...