A Collections Agency Has Different Things on Different Reports

PinkiBee

Hello All, I'm new and happy to be here.

Back in August of 2000 as a freshman in college, I got an AMEX card, and with my young, dumb self, I let it get charged off and go to collections. So I'm checking my credit reports now, one from May 2005 and 3 from this month. One from this month has it being sent to a collection agency and that agency has it down as being $3,364 owed. On the 2nd report that same agency has it down as $3,410, and on the 3rd report that agency has it down as $3,065. However, from that same credit report from last year, they have it down as $2,656!! This is crazy that they are changing the amounts like that. Plus on one it has it listed as not being reported until this past November, when in reality it has been in charged off since like 2000! What can I do about all this? Should I dispute this with all 3 credit bureaus? Can I get this removed this way?

Remember that all items reported to your CR must be "complete and accurate" according to the FCRA. If the three different CR's are not identical, then the TL is not "complete and accurate."

The problem is, reporting wrong information, while against the law, is not actionable. That means that you cannot sue for that violation. In order to do that, you must get them to respond to an "investigation" from the CRA with that same incorrect information. At that point, you have an s-2(B) violation, which IS actionable.

Remember that all items reported to your CR must be "complete and accurate" according to the FCRA. If the three different CR's are not identical, then the TL is not "complete and accurate."

The problem is, reporting wrong information, while against the law, is not actionable. That means that you cannot sue for that violation. In order to do that, you must get them to respond to an "investigation" from the CRA with that same incorrect information. At that point, you have an s-2(B) violation, which IS actionable.

Thanks for your reply! Last night after writing my first post here, I disputed this situation with all 3 credit bureaus. My question now is, will disputing it "restart" the acct...meaning, will I know have to wait another 7 years for it to come off??

No

Thank you that is good to know because it is due to come off in Dec :)

Another question: I have a $95.00 bill w/ a dentist. I've been disputing this for almost a year because my insurance was supposed to pay for it, or so I thought. Turns out, because of the type of filling I got (white as opposed to silver, lol) I do owe the debt. Okay, I can live with that. Its only $95.00. But now the agency it was initally sent to has sent it to an attorney. Its not on my credit report yet. So, would the best thing be to just call this person and pay it? Everyone else has told me to never call them, to just send them a letter, but if its not even on my report yet I don't see the point of that. It seems like I can get it paid before it goes onto my credit report? How should I handle this??

Okay, a couple of issues here...

Regarding the $95 account that isnt on your credit report:

Pay it, but get something in writing from the dentist's billing department stating that it wont show up on your CR as a paid collection (which is just as bad as an unpaid collection, in terms of your FICO hit.)

Which CA are you dealing with for the account that is on your CR? Post the complete entries here--I'd bet theyve changed more than the amount owed. Theyve most likely re-aged the account, causing your score to take more of a nosedive than it legally should.

Okay, a couple of issues here...

Regarding the $95 account that isnt on your credit report:

Pay it, but get something in writing from the dentist's billing department stating that it wont show up on your CR as a paid collection (which is just as bad as an unpaid collection, in terms of your FICO hit.)

Which CA are you dealing with for the account that is on your CR? Post the complete entries here--I'd bet theyve changed more than the amount owed. Theyve most likely re-aged the account, causing your score to take more of a nosedive than it legally should.

okay, for the $95.00 acct, i dont think i can deal with the dentist office because they sold it to a credit agency who then gave it to an attorney. so wouldnt i have to talk w/ the attorney about keeping it off my report?

the ca who is crazy, is Credigy. i'm @ work so i can't pull up my reports online, but, i have the paper copies. for transunion, its reads like this:

balance $3,410, date updated 11/2006, originial balance $1,708, date closed 07/2001 and date placed for collection 12/2002.

for equifax it says balance $3,364, date reported 10/2006, date of last activity 01/2001 and date major delinquency first reported 10/2006.

Now transunion says it is due to come off this dec.2007, but equifax doesnt list the date when items come off. what does this mean??