Free Credit Reports

thrillsoft

I was viewing my Experian credit report today (directly from Experian) and I was reading through the notices at the very bottom and came across this statement:

"You have the right to know what is in your file . You may request and obtain all the information about you in the files of consumer reporting agency (your "file disclosure"). You will be required to provide proper identification, which may include Social Security number. In many cases, the disclosure will be free.

You are entitled to a free file disclosure if:

 a person has taken adverse action against you because of information in your credit report;

 you are the victim of identify theft and place a fraud alert in your file;

 your file contains inaccurate information as a result of fraud;

 you are on public assistance;

 you are unemployed but expect to apply for employment within 60 days."

I knew that if you were declined for credit that you could request a free copy of your report. I had no idea that you could get a free copy (in addition to the free annual report) in the other circumstances and thought others might find it interesting as well. I hadn't seen it discussed on here before.

All 3 CRAs have those disclosures, except they're worded differently. For instance, TU's disclosures are below:

Within the last 60 days, you have received an adverse action notice based on information from your TransUnion credit report;

You are unemployed and plan to seek employment within 60 days;

You receive public welfare assistance;

You have reason to believe your TransUnion credit file is inaccurate due to fraud (this one gives a little more leeway in getting your free report, but it'll surely get you a FA on your file); or

Your state offers a free or reduced-price Personal Credit Report.