Oc admits chg was not mine.How to get money pd them by my DMC refunded to me?

Feb2005 I rec'd an erroneous chg on an acct that I had PIF and closed the previous month. Wrote letter to Citibank, the OC (have copy) and called, disputing this chg. Never heard from OC again, (no futher bills, letters, calls) so I thought it was taken care of. Early 2006 pulled CR and found this acct listed as CO, with a balance of double original amt. Contacted them again by phone and letters sent CMRRR. In the meantime, I signed up with a Debt management company. Their policy was to address all accts that were affecting a client's CR negatively, so I disclosed this particular acct. The oc had already told me that they were ready to send the acct to collection if I didn't do something about it. The OC agreed to accept $20/month from the DMC on the debt. I even wrote OC another letter at this point advising that just because the DMC was paying on the acct did not mean I was accepting ownership of this erroneous charge, that I was still disputing the chg etc. Sent this letter CMRRR. Finally in Nov, after nearly 2 yrs dealing with this, I rec'd SIX letters, all with differentl dates, from Citibank saying they were resolving this dispute in my favor and the acct would be removed from my CRs. (actually they had taken the acct off the CRs a few months earlier).

I wrote yet another letter asking for the money pd by the DMC, which by this time amounts to about $200, to be refunded back to me. It's been about 6 weeks now and I have not rec'd a dime back. I could sure use that money k. To my way of thinking, Citibank surely violated when they COed instead of investigating a valid dispute. Then they verbally threatened sending the debt to collection. During this period I was denied a personal loan, due in part to this CO which was being reported. What can I do to get back at least the money I paid on a debt that they now admit was an error?

Do I have grounds for a lawsuit?

I have read about this but so far I have been pleased with mine. I wanted them to pay on this to keep the OC, Citibank from sending it to collection. The minute I started receiving letters saying that Citibank admitted the debt was an error, I contacted the DMC and they never sent another payment. They negotiated with another creditor and now instead of 29.99% interest I'm paying 6%, no late fees and no overage fees. I tried to do this on my own and the OC on that 2nd acct just told me no. The DMC charges $15 a month and I can quit at any time. I'm not blaming the DMC about this. I'm blaming Citibank. If they had done what they should have this would never have been an issue. They should have investigated when I first disputed the charge.

Sigh. You are given good advice. You were advised to stay away from DS companies for various reasons, which have been well covered. Then you chose to ignore that advice. Then, when your actions cause you to lose money, you come for more advice, which you will likely not follow, because you still do not see the wisdom of the advice which you got in the first place.

Good luck to you.

The problem you have is that even though you paid and OC accepted these payments you have no agreement to receive any monies back should they decide the dispute in your favor.

They may have just decided to accept whatever payments were made and remove the account from you CR.

I am sorry but I have no suggestions under what you ahve outlined that happened.

Thank you Msldystrkr for replying. Basically what Citibank now has is a credit on a closed acct. I would think they would be obligated to return it. Before they mistakenly added an erroneous charge after the acct was closed, this acct had never been late. They were at fault to begin with. If they had just investigated the disputed charge at the time it was originally brought to their attention, instead of adding additional lates etc and eventually charging it off, they would have found the charge to be an error then. I know I should have followed up on it too, but I was naive and thought since they never sent another bill that it was all taken care of. I could have instructed the DMC not to pay on this acct, but Citibank had already told me they were sending it to collection. I figured it was better to deal with Citibank instead of a JDB. I haven't given up on getting the money back though. I wondered if there was any particular person at Citibank I should contact who might be more helpful? Any suggestions?

No. But they have sent 6 different letters saying the dispute was settled in my favor. The dispute was about a $200+ charge that they added AFTER the acct was PIF and closed. Apparently they decided someone else used the card fraudulently, and a 7 yr fraud alert was put on all my CR's. ( I know it was stupid but I think I just tossed the card when I closed the acct, instead of cutting it up. I figured since the account was closed no charges would go through anyway so I didn't think it would matter). Since these payments were being applied towards a balance that they now admit was not valid, that would mean there should be a credit right? They have never sent me any kind of bill since Feb 2005, which was the first time I brought this problem to their attention. I do have proof from the DMC that these payments have been made each month for 9 months though.