Ex-spouse and medical bills

kemiren

My husband and I had the unfortunate pleasure of getting denied for an auto loan last year when he found out that he had about $2500 in medical bills on his credit report.

The charges range from fees from missed doctor's appointments, er visits, and ambulance transport his two sons. He pays child support and maintains insurance on them as per the divorce decree.

What I don't understand is how this stuff appears on his credit and us not know anything about it until we saw the credit report. Is there anyway that he can dispute the bills on his report...........at the very least I think that the bills should be split.

When I called one of the creditors, she informed me that because I was married to my husband that the debts are now my responsibility too. Is that true?

I would check with the doctors office. It sounds like the EX is listing him as the responsible party and then she doesn't pay.

Even if a court can make him liable for a portion of the unpaid medical bills (within the decree), she cannot legally put his name and SSN as responsible party.

Hey , my X does the same friggin thing. Walks in and out of the Drs office without paying the co-pay. I called the MD's office and told them I thought it sexist, as the battleax at teh desk would bar the door with her big body before letting me skate on the $20.00

Anyway, I'd be a little suspicious of your husband. If they have his insurance info, he should have gotten the bills, too. I doubt these would show up on a CR without some sort of collection activity.

My husband and I had the unfortunate pleasure of getting denied for an auto loan last year when he found out that he had about $2500 in medical bills on his credit report.

The charges range from fees from missed doctor's appointments, er visits, and ambulance transport his two sons. He pays child support and maintains insurance on them as per the divorce decree.

What I don't understand is how this stuff appears on his credit and us not know anything about it until we saw the credit report. Is there anyway that he can dispute the bills on his report...........at the very least I think that the bills should be split.

When I called one of the creditors, she informed me that because I was married to my husband that the debts are now my responsibility too. Is that true?

I'm sorry to hear it. If he's the one with the insurance, it may be that this is the remainder of the med bills. As one poster said, he should've gotten billing for these charges. Most health insurances will also send you something. So he should consider contacting his insurance carrier and requesting info on these dates/billings.

I have the feeling that maybe his insurance wasn't listed, just his name and SSN. If it were me, I'd dispute the crap out of it immediately as "not mine" and than request ID theft info. IF his ex listed HIS name and SSN as primary for billing and her name was nowhere on it, that may constitute ID theft, JMHO-not saying I'm right.

At the very least, he needs to request validation so he can see what all this bill includes ...2500.00 is a lot of darn money. And these are bills for HIS kids (allegedly) so no, you aren't liable. But than again, check with your state laws. I'm sure they're just telling you that to get you to pay something, don't fall for it.

In the end, he may have to pay it and take his ex to court for her share (if their divorce decree allowed for shared medical expenses, without seeing the document I don't know). If he isn't willing to do that, than your SOL and I don't mean statute of limitations.

I guess if it were me (now again, this is ME) I'd find out if my insurance was even BILLED at all...than I'd find out how she listed info when she filled out the forms (I'd get copies from the hospital directly if possible) get all the info/data I could from the collection agencies and go from there. IF she listed ME in the billing and ME alone, I'd make an ID theft complaint with the local police department. I'd than go from there with my disputes w/ the credit reports. Send them copies of my police report, etc. I don't play hardball anymore...BTDT with the ex thing and we were WAAAAY too soft on her back then and we continue to pay dearly for it to this day and it's been 10 yrs since their divorce!!! NO MORE. But again, that is me.

Good luck.

Elyse

Unless SHE put HIS address on the medical file, the doctors office would not send a bill to him. Yes, he might get notice from the insurance about the amount that his insurance paid, but there is nothing in THAT which would show him his ex-wife continued to ignore the doctors bills.

Personally, I have been tempted to do this to my ex, but I would never stoop to his level. Currently, I am owed $150K in past due child support, so in my mind, it would teach him right for me to leave HIM hanging with the trashed credit for unpaid medical bills!!!!! :twisted:

It still does not justify what his ex did to her. He should talk to his divorce attorney and see if there is any recourse he has with her. Personally, I would tell the collection agencies that the account is FRAUDulent since *I* did not sign for it or authorize the charges. Let them go after her~