Collection agency keeps changing dates

Cuddlekitty

Hello,

I'm new to the board, and new to anything to do with cleaning my credit history. I am trying to build my credit but I have an old debt from 1996 that the collection agency keeps changing the date on to make new again. Can anyone tell me if there is anything that I can do to get this off my credit history?

Thanks,

Cuddlekitty

Hello,

I'm new to the board, and new to anything to do with cleaning my credit history. I am trying to build my credit but I have an old debt from 1996 that the collection agency keeps changing the date on to make new again. Can anyone tell me if there is anything that I can do to get this off my credit history?

Thanks,

Cuddlekitty

You're going to need to give more info for the experts on the board to help.

Is this a paid collection? or unpaid?

You said the CA keeps changing the date- have you made any payments to them or agreed to make a payment?

Sorry:oops: It's a debt that has never been paid on. I have had no contact with the collection agency, yet over the years the date keeps changing on my credit history report. It's been on there sense 1996, yet over the years when I check the date keeps changing. At this rate it will never be off my credit history, and I would really like to start building a good history.

Thanks,

Cuddlekitty

The SOL in MS is 3 years for most debts

see here http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/statuteLimitations.shtml

If you have never paid on it since 1996, you're past the SOL, meaning the debt is time barred

You said the date keeps changing- is it perhaps the debt has been sold a few times over the years to different CAs? If so, then your CRs will show a date in which the CA aquired the debt, however, the original date of last payment in 1996 does not change and your CR should reflect that. However, each time a new CA/JDB "aquires" old debt, they typically place it on your report- because they want to try and make you pay on an out of statute debt

IMO, I would start by disputing with the 3 CRAs first. In the meantime, continue to read this board, you'll learn alot.

Keep in mind, as long as there are JDBs out there willing to purchase old debt, then each time it gets sold, it may continue to show back up on your CR.

Other opinions please.......

Mississipi is one of 2 states where the SOL for a debt is actually a statute of repose, meaning their right to collect has been extinguished; the debt no longer exists.

Even if it weren't, they can't report beyond the 7 year reporting period of the OC's tradeline.

You have both FCRA and numerous FDCPA violations.

Tell them to send you $2500.00, delete the item from your report, and maybe you won't sue them..........maybe.

If you have never paid on it since 1996, you're past the SOL, meaning the debt is time barred

You said the date keeps changing- is it perhaps the debt has been sold a few times over the years to different CAs? If so, then your CRs will show a date in which the CA aquired the debt, however, the original date of last payment in 1996 does not change and your CR should reflect that. However, each time a new CA/JDB "aquires" old debt, they typically place it on your report- because they want to try and make you pay on an out of statute debt

IMO, I would start by disputing with the 3 CRAs first. In the meantime, continue to read this board, you'll learn alot.

Keep in mind, as long as there are JDBs out there willing to purchase old debt, then each time it gets sold, it may continue to show back up on your CR.

Gypsie, thank you for taking the time to help me out with this info. I really do appreciate your help.

I will take your advice and continue reading everything I can on this board so I can be better prepared to take action.:)

Thanks,

Cuddlekitty

Mississipi is one of 2 states where the SOL for a debt is actually a statute of repose, meaning their right to collect has been extinguished; the debt no longer exists.

Even if it weren't, they can't report beyond the 7 year reporting period of the OC's tradeline.

You have both FCRA and numerous FDCPA violations.

Tell them to send you $2500.00, delete the item from your report, and maybe you won't sue them..........maybe.

E. Normis Debtor, you have made my day.:) After all of the years of having to put up with there crap it would be my pleasure to stick it to them for a change.

Thanks,

Cuddlekitty

• 2 weeks later...

Does this mean that everytime a JDB buys the account it will continue from their date? I have a collection account that says opened 3/03 (when CA started I assume) but on my EX report it says it will be removed 10/08. I am assuming that it went delinquent in 2001 right? These sol dates get me all confused.