Credit trashed by NCO

ciscokid

I just found this forum today and feel so thankful for it. I spent all day reading as much as I could and I have learned a lot. My question is this: My wife and I have been fighting a debt collection company named NCO for over a year over a medical bill that was supposed to have been taken care of by her old insurance company, Kaiser Permanente. Several months ago we received a letter from Kaiser stating that they were disputing the charges made by NCO and the original creditor and that we should not pay them. We kept receiving phone calls from NCO almost daily and I spoke with them several times. Each time they were rude to me and kept threatening us that they would trash my wife's credit. I finally paid a lawyer to send a C&D letter to NCO. After a year of checking her credit report every month, we thought they had forgotten about it. Then they hit her Equifax once and her Experian twice. We have since worked with the original creditor and paid the debt in full for the original amount owed and not the amount NCO said was due (which was much less). My questions are this a)Is NCO allowed to hit my wife's credit twice with the same CRA? b)Now that the debt is paid in full, what do/can I do to get the damage done by NCO wiped from my wife's credit report?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,

Rob

I just found this forum today and feel so thankful for it. I spent all day reading as much as I could and I have learned a lot. My question is this: My wife and I have been fighting a debt collection company named NCO for over a year over a medical bill that was supposed to have been taken care of by her old insurance company, Kaiser Permanente. Several months ago we received a letter from Kaiser stating that they were disputing the charges made by NCO and the original creditor and that we should not pay them. We kept receiving phone calls from NCO almost daily and I spoke with them several times. Each time they were rude to me and kept threatening us that they would trash my wife's credit. I finally paid a lawyer to send a C&D letter to NCO. After a year of checking her credit report every month, we thought they had forgotten about it. Then they hit her Equifax once and her Experian twice. We have since worked with the original creditor and paid the debt in full for the original amount owed and not the amount NCO said was due (which was much less). My questions are this a)Is NCO allowed to hit my wife's credit twice with the same CRA? b)Now that the debt is paid in full, what do/can I do to get the damage done by NCO wiped from my wife's credit report?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,

Rob

My first question is did you get written confirmation of the paid debt from the original creditor? Did you also tell the original creditor to contact their collection agency stating the debt is paid? If you did, did you get written confirmation that the collection agency was notified by the original creditor? I had a two collection accounts on my credit report with the same amount with two different names. It turns out that it was the same company but they changed names; however, it looked like two different accounts. I disputed it with the credit bureaus and both were removed as the debt had been paid years ago. If you search the forum under "NCO" you will find a wealth of information on how to deal with them. I was fortunate that my dealings with them was minimal. My collection account was also medical.::BigGun::

Well I fought them for a year.. and I finally got sick of them.. so I went online to the PA attorney generals website and filed a complaint online... NCO had to be a HUGE fee to them a year or two ago so this actually , to my suprise worked..

the AG's office sent me a form which I filled out .. the NCO lawyers counter answerd the AG which they forwarded to me.. I was getting ready to respond when I got a letter from the NCO legal department that they were erasing the records from my Credit reports and they did.. They were spanked by the AG pretty hard so I guess that particular confrontation doesnt bode well with them...

It seems I could send letters all day long but put it on the AG letterhead .. well it woke someone up over there.. Geez those people are like roaches.. they never stop

Before this they tried to sue me on a debt that was out of SOL.. sent me letters on broken payment arrangements I NEVER made.. changed dates on my credit report.. it went on and on.. I disputed it with the CR agencies and got no where but my little online complaint to the AG in their state got their attention.. if you go to budhibbs.com you will how NCO had one of the largest fines in history with them... it was simple.. it took about a month and a half and its now gone.. well for now ;).. good luck

My first question is did you get written confirmation of the paid debt from the original creditor? Did you also tell the original creditor to contact their collection agency stating the debt is paid? If you did, did you get written confirmation that the collection agency was notified by the original creditor? I had a two collection accounts on my credit report with the same amount with two different names. It turns out that it was the same company but they changed names; however, it looked like two different accounts. I disputed it with the credit bureaus and both were removed as the debt had been paid years ago. If you search the forum under "NCO" you will find a wealth of information on how to deal with them. I was fortunate that my dealings with them was minimal. My collection account was also medical.::BigGun::

We did not get written confirmation of the paid debt, but I will send a letter tomorrow asking for confirmation. I will also ask for a written confirmaton that they notified their dogs (NCO Financial) that the original debt has been paid and ask them to have them fix my wife's credit. Does anyone know of any links to sample letters for me to look at?

We did not get written confirmation of the paid debt, but I will send a letter tomorrow asking for confirmation. I will also ask for a written confirmaton that they notified their dogs (NCO Financial) that the original debt has been paid and ask them to have them fix my wife's credit. Does anyone know of any links to sample letters for me to look at?

Again take the time to go to the AG website for PA.. you can file your complaint online.. trust me that got it done for me in a little over a month.. they are off my credit reports now.. all three have been removed

We did not get written confirmation of the paid debt,

That's a critical piece for a couple of reasons.

If they sold the debt, the OC has no right to any payment from you and must forward the payment to NCO. If they don't, you still owe NCO and then have to get your money back from the OC.

If NCO was simply acting as a CA, the OC needs to withdraw the account from NCO once they receive payment, in which case NCO can no longer report the account.

That's a critical piece for a couple of reasons.

If they sold the debt, the OC has no right to any payment from you and must forward the payment to NCO. If they don't, you still owe NCO and then have to get your money back from the OC.

If NCO was simply acting as a CA, the OC needs to withdraw the account from NCO once they receive payment, in which case NCO can no longer report the account.

I won't know for sure until I get a letter back from the OC, but I think they were still acting as a CA, because once the final check hit our bank account, the constant phone calls and messages from NCO on our home phone number stopped. It was a little too late because the last check hit three days after NCO hit my wife's credit. And by "hit" I mean that it shows two accounts on EX with different spellings of NCO Financial, both with $0 balances.

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice

• 3 weeks later...

I know it has been almost a month, but I am sending my letters tomorrow. I was wondering if it is illegal for a collection agency to post two tradelines to one CRA, both with $0.00 balances. Both accounts are obviously NCO Financial Systems, Inc, but with slightly different names. The only reason I can fathom them doing this would to harm my wife's credit report and score. We also received a letter from the insurance company stating that they have finally paid the remaining balance on the account after more than a year.