Help! I've been robbed! A creditor submitted false info to a CA. I was screwed.

Hi everyone, I'm dumbnubie. This is my first post and I need help. A Creditor placed false information with a CA which was on my credit report for 34 months before I got a copy of my report and disputed the information. As soon as I disputed, the entry was removed. Do I have recorse to sue anyway for the damage to my credit score for the 34 months it was there?

You'd have to prove that you were actually damaged by the incorrect reporting. Were you denied credit or employment within the last 34 months that you believe was based on this incorrect reporting? My guess would be that you weren't or you would have received notification that you were being denied based on negative information on your credit report. If you believe the incorrect reporting was intentional (wouldn't be the first time a CA did that) then you may want to contact your state's Attorney General just to give them a heads up regarding this CA's business practices.

Thanks, to Administrator for giving me information for lawyers in my area. The lawyer is evaluating my information as we speak and has said that I may have a ligitimate claim.

Thanks to breathing easier, for the info. Yes I have been denied credit and employment, based on the negative information. That is why I obtained copies of my credit report. I'd been searching for a job and someone I knew in that office told me that they checked my credit and it had barring on my not getting the job. If I had known this entry was there 34 months ago, I would have acted then to correct the problem. The creditor was wrong for placing it into collection in the first place. All they had to do was audit my account internally, and they would have found that it had been paid prior to going to collection. Also, did they not audit their own books within 34 months to find the discrepency? That was just incompetence of their billing department. So they should be sued for that kind of hurtful mistake so it does not happen to anyone else. Forgive the mispellings, if it sounds like the word it the word. 8)

IMO, if you sue in small claims or civil court and prevail, you most likely won't be awared any damages, the Judge may just require the CRA send corrected copies of your CR to all who requested it in that time frame and advise those companies that they sent an incorrect report. If you want to try for money, you may have to front the big $$$ and sue in federal for violations of FCRA.

Also who did you originally dispute with when the item was deleted. If it was the CRA, they may not have been able to get verification documents, but that does not mean they dont exist. You have to tread lightly around this because if you sue the CA for inaccurate reporting and they do come up with sufficent evidence showing its yours. You just may end up being the judgment debtor and having to pay the original debt.

What was the incorrect information? Was it the entire account or just certain info within the account?

I understand the account has been paid in full.

My question is does the OP have supporting evidence of this?

Also, the collection account, is it still open? Even though its not showing on your CR it may still be open with the CA.

To make it much easier to win a claim, the OP needs to show they made a good faith effort to correct the situation, I am not saying they have to in order to win, they would just look a lot better in court if they did make that good faith effort.

I suggest the OP gets a letter from the OC stating the date the account was paid in full, thus showing paid before sold to collections. The OC will usually provide a statement with the final payment date at no charge. These are a few things you need to know and have before running in like yosemitie sam screamin "you rootin tootin varmit".

A euphemism is making something bad look better.

This is an exaggeration: making something look like a violent crime. (Rather the opposite of a euphemism.)

I don't mind exaggeration generally, but trying to exaggerate a trade line on a credit report into a violent crime really does bother me, because the OP is trying to use the emotional weight of violent crime.

"Screwed" doesn't bother me in this context. "Robbed" does. Both are exaggerations.

Thanks, to Administrator for giving me information for lawyers in my area. The lawyer is evaluating my information as we speak and has said that I may have a ligitimate claim.

Thanks to breathing easier, for the info. Yes I have been denied credit and employment, based on the negative information. That is why I obtained copies of my credit report. I'd been searching for a job and someone I knew in that office told me that they checked my credit and it had barring on my not getting the job. If I had known this entry was there 34 months ago, I would have acted then to correct the problem. The creditor was wrong for placing it into collection in the first place. All they had to do was audit my account internally, and they would have found that it had been paid prior to going to collection. Also, did they not audit their own books within 34 months to find the discrepency? That was just incompetence of their billing department. So they should be sued for that kind of hurtful mistake so it does not happen to anyone else. Forgive the mispellings, if it sounds like the word it the word. 8)

What type of work were you denied based on your credit???? Just wondering. I think it's total CRAP to use that as an excuse unless it's banking or some crap. I mean, how are we suppose to pay those debts if we aren't working? My goodness.

Elyse

There are people who are literally robbed (sometimes at gunpoint) every day.

Would you please be considerate to them and not claim you've been robbed simply because a false tradeline appeared?

Get the employment denial in writing.

As someone who WAS robbed at gunpoint, I take NO offense to this persons' statement. I have had a gun in my face for the measily 100.00 in my til, for a measily 7.00 per hour and I am not offended in the least.

Especially in light of the fact that they were denied employment based on their credit report. I do think that's nothing SHORT of robbery!! I am in dire need of a job and if I CAN NOT get one (especially based off of my credit) than I will be put out on the street with four kids and no job to boot. So, yes-it absolutely IS robbery. Whoever did this to them is nothing short of an oxygen thief in society and deserves no less than to be dragged NAKED along a mile strip of sand paper. It's bad enough it's so darn easy to "earn" bad credit, but now they're adding crap falsely to??? BULL CRAP.

Sorry. I'll shut up now.

Elyse

A euphemism is making something bad look better.

This is an exaggeration: making something look like a violent crime. (Rather the opposite of a euphemism.)

You're right in that I used euphemism incorrectly. Therefore, I'll substitute the word "analogy" for it. One of the popular definitions of "robbery" is "to steal something from in any way," or "to deprive [someone] of of something belonging to or due him." To be the victim of robbery doesn't mean you also have to have been the victim of violence. That being said, the OP's declaration in his thread title was just a way to grab our attention. As I said, it's done all the time here. I, too, would be more than extremely upset if I learned that I had been denied an income as the result of incorrect information being reported about me.

As someone who WAS robbed at gunpoint, I take NO offense to this persons' statement. I have had a gun in my face for the measily 100.00 in my til, for a measily 7.00 per hour and I am not offended in the least.
Yikes, elyse, I'm so sorry that you experienced that! I can't imagine! :shock:
Whoever did this to them is nothing short of an oxygen thief in society and deserves no less than to be dragged NAKED along a mile strip of sand paper. It's bad enough it's so darn easy to "earn" bad credit, but now they're adding crap falsely to???
It could be that the incorrect information was simply the result of oversight or clerical error, but that's not to say that they shouldn't have to pay up to the OP.

It was a City job. I live in Chicago. But the funny thing is, it was with Streets and Sanitation. Do they think I'm going to steal garbage? Or a Street Sweeper? Go figure. Truth be told these are patronage jobs and I'm not connected. So you know the rest.

Thanks to all, for answering my post. This is a very good forum.

It was a City job. I live in Chicago. But the funny thing is, it was with Streets and Sanitation. Do they think I'm going to steal garbage? Or a Street Sweeper? Go figure. Truth be told these are patronage jobs and I'm not connected. So you know the rest.

Thanks to all, for answering my post. This is a very good forum.

It was with streets/sanitation? My goodness... ya know, I think some employers are truly starting to think their sh** don't stank or somethin' man! I mean honestly, asking for "resume's" for friggin' cashier positions, credit checks for jobs?? What is it they think they're offering? Sheesh.

I just spoke w/ my sis tonight and she said supposedly it is only lawful to do a credit check to verify previous employers, names and addresses...they aren't SUPPOSE to actually SEE your credit info without your permission to see it. She said the only employers even remotely authorized to look would be jobs as they relate to the financial world. Like say, banking. Hmmm....

Elyse

Yikes, elyse, I'm so sorry that you experienced that! I can't imagine! :shock:

It could be that the incorrect information was simply the result of oversight or clerical error, but that's not to say that they shouldn't have to pay up to the OP.

Gosh I truly hope it was an oversight! I was starting to feel like Chris Rock in Lethal Weapon 3..."what, we don't got enough victims now we're importin' 'em?!"

Elyse

Whoever did this to them is nothing short of an oxygen thief in society and deserves no less than to be dragged NAKED along a mile strip of sand paper.

Elyse

:roflmao::roflmao: :roflmao:

Not to xdeadhorsex but it is a title that will get noticed, and it did. And BTW I am pissed that I get robbed every two weeks by the legalized mafia AKA IRS.