CHASE PERSONAL INFORMATION THROWN IN TRASH - HELP! Recovering Attorney and Attys

Guest helpneed

Guest helpneed

1. Do I file an individual lawsuit for damages, etc.? If so, how do I go about

it?

2. Do I write my AG and provide a copy of letter for class action or go to

local attorney?

3. Does anyone know of a class action lawsuit with Chase for this issue?

4. What are my next steps?

I've already placed a fraud alert on all (3) CRs.

I recently received a letter from Chase stating...

"Chase takes very seriously its responsibility to handl consumer information with confidentiality and dsicretion at all times. Unfortunately, we recently discovered that computer tapes that contained personal information about you were mistakenly identified as trash and thrown out. The information was on computer systems that retained information about you related to a former Circuit City credit card account that was originally issued by First North American National Bank. The information generally would have included your name, address and Social Security number.

There is no indication that any of the data stored on these tapes has been used inappropriately as a result of this incident. We deeply regret that this has occurred and apologize, and we want to take a prudent approach in safeguarding your personal information by letting you know of this issue and the steps you may take to protect yourself.

With the assistance of federal law enforcement authorities, we have conducted a thorough and extensive investigation of this incident and a search for the tapes. Although we have been unable to locate the tapes, we believe they were compacted, destroyed and taken to a landfill where they were buried. We have no reason to believe that anyone accessed or used your personal information as a result of this incident. We also want you to know that we have reinforced our procedures and training to ensure the proper handling of information."

Like admin says, alot of things need to be happening for you to have a case, otherwise I dont think you have anything unless something fradulent pops up. They took the appropriate procedures to recover the information.

Say you give someone a blank check. They lose it. You can't really sue them if it wasn't cashed.

Guest helpneed
Like admin says, alot of things need to be happening for you to have a case, otherwise I dont think you have anything unless something fradulent pops up. They took the appropriate procedures to recover the information.

Say you give someone a blank check. They lose it. You can't really sue them if it wasn't cashed.

Yes I have had something strange occurr on my CR, someone attemted to apply for a Citifinancial Real estate mortgage in my name and in providing identifying info to CR that change my middle initial.

i've already filed a fraud alert on CR's

Yes I have had something strange occurr on my CR, someone attemted to apply for a Citifinancial Real estate mortgage in my name and in providing identifying info to CR that change my middle initial.

i've already filed a fraud alert on CR's

Then you need to take your CR to the police now and file an identity theft report. Even if the application was not approved, this step insulates you quite a bit from liability on future breaches to your credit file.

A freeze is fine and dandy, but you need to be cognizant that just because something is not on your file it does not mean your SSN is not being actively used. The CEO of Experian admitted a few weeks ago that EX will create a new file with the new name and the same SSN in situations like yours. Basically there can be a ghost file you never see with a different name on it but using your SSN.

Then you need to take your CR to the police now and file an identity theft report. Even if the application was not approved, this step insulates you quite a bit from liability on future breaches to your credit file.

A freeze is fine and dandy, but you need to be cognizant that just because something is not on your file it does not mean your SSN is not being actively used. The CEO of Experian admitted a few weeks ago that EX will create a new file with the new name and the same SSN in situations like yours. Basically there can be a ghost file you never see with a different name on it but using your SSN.

wow that's interesting info to know.