Warrant In Debt Please Help!!

zuzuspetals

I moved from Virginia to England in March of 2001. We recently moved back to the USA last year. I received a letter saying that I owed taxes for 2001 and 2002 for a vehicle that I sold to my father when I moved out of the country. The car left Virginia February 16 2001. My father lives in California and had the car with him there. Each time I contacted the tax office they said they would help and take care of it as I had moved. I have now received a warrant in debt. The lawyer (who says he doesn't work on commission) told me that regardless of the state where the car resides, that I am liable for taxes on an oversized vehicle that Virginia imposes on Cars. I sold this car to my father and have letters thus stating and proving this fact. I am wondering if there are statute of limitations. I left the country in March of 2001. I have not received any of the tax bills as I lived in the UK for almost 5 years.

I have proof that the car was not in Virginia and evidence that it was insured in California in April of 2001. Any ideas? I am sick about this. Thank you for any help...zuzu

If you have the bill of sale showing the car was sold, that is all you need. You need to contact the tax authority and send via certified mail a letter stating that the vehicle left your ownership on the date specified and denying liability for the tax debt.

You may have to schedule a hearing at the circuit court to have a judge clear this as tax debts are considered judgments against you.

I live in Idaho, do I need to go to Virginia to this hearing? There was a court date set for tomorrow, but the lawyer says that he has pushed it back three months because my carfax report doesn't show that the car was ever even registered in Virginia. And he is getting the original copy. I was thinking that maybe I shouldnt' be dealing with him...he doesn't seem to be on my side at all. He has an argument for everything. Any other advice?

Of course he's not on your side. He doesn't get paid unless he wins his suit against you. Don't take his word on anything, especially court dates being pushed back. If you fail to appear, he can get a default judgment award against you. So call that courthouse first thing in the mornign to confirm you didn't need to be there and what you must do to let the court know that you don't live in it's jurisdiction.

Thank you so much...great advice. I will call asap in the AM. I can't believe I thought this lawyer was on my side. He told me to get a carfax report to prove that it was registered in California. When I got the report it showed that the car was never registered in Virginia. I told him...I guess the case is closed. He told me to send it to him...and now he is changing the court date. I should have never talked to him. Thank you...thank you..thankyou I need a 2X4..zuzu