What do junk collectors know?

JellyBean

I am curious to know what junk collectors know about their debtors. Just how much information from the debt is given to them when they buy it? Do they automatically get the SS#, for instance? Are major parts lost as the account moves from buyer-to-buyer, until there is finally only a few facts left?

It would seem to me that they don't automatically have full information, and that they are always trying to get it from their debtors along with what type of income they have, where they work, etc.

Overall, I guess I am wondering how a debt becomes 15 or 20 years old, and way out of a SOL, and yet no judgement was ever filed, nor were any wages garnished in all those many years prior. I mean, what stopped them from suing before the SOL was to about run out?

Just curious...

JellyBean

Overall, I guess I am wondering how a debt becomes 15 or 20 years old, and way out of a SOL, and yet no judgement was ever filed, nor were any wages garnished in all those many years prior. I mean, what stopped them from suing before the SOL was to about run out?

JellyBean

Luck. Whoever owned it at the time either: could not find you to sue, forgot about it/put it aside, or didn't think it was worth the expense of a lawsuit.

It happens a lot.