CA is calling, not sure what to do

fivetwos

A CA has been calling my former employer trying to reach me. I got a courtesy call from someone over there forwarding the message. I called the CA back (I know that's not recommended, but I do not want them calling the other number any more). I asked if they sent me anything in writing, the woman said that they did, but it was returned (I no longer receive mail at that address). She asked for my current address which I said I would not give at this time. My actual address is on my CR, along with literally 15 others, they just picked the wrong one. I figured why help them. She said they would continue to call the new number I gave. Anyway, my question is, should I get their info and DV them now, wait until they pick the right address to send me the initial letter.....,etc? Maybe rollover and play dead? Any help and/or opinions are much appreciated. Thanks

A CA has been calling my former employer trying to reach me. I got a courtesy call from someone over there forwarding the message. I called the CA back (I know that's not recommended, but I do not want them calling the other number any more). I asked if they sent me anything in writing, the woman said that they did, but it was returned (I no longer receive mail at that address). She asked for my current address which I said I would not give at this time. My actual address is on my CR, along with literally 15 others, they just picked the wrong one. I figured why help them. She said they would continue to call the new number I gave. Anyway, my question is, should I get their info and DV them now, wait until they pick the right address to send me the initial letter.....,etc? Maybe rollover and play dead? Any help and/or opinions are much appreciated. Thanks

First of all, a collection agency should not be calling your job! Since they are calling your old job, all you have to tell the person who gave you the courtesy call is to tell the collection agency that you no longer work there and do not call them again. If they continue to call, they need to tell them that they will file telephone harassment charges and they will stop! It would be better to get their address and DV them. You have given them your new number so they will continue to harass you by phone. Once you get their address, you can ask them to not call you any longer and that you prefer to be contacted by mail. :)++

fivetwos,

Are you trying to settle the debt or are you trying to stall them off while you figure out how to settle the debt?

The bottom line is, there are lots of ways you can stall for time. But stalling for time is just that, it does little to actually resolve the problem.

If the debt is yours, your best bet is to work out a settlement. Sure, you should always be certain the debt is yours and the amount being claimed is accurate. That's what the DV process is for but beyond that, rather than dragging it out and spending months or years in hiding, you would be better off just settling the debt and moving on.

I spent better than four years and hundreds of dollars on certified mail doing everything possible to make life difficult for these bastards and in the end I filed bankruptcy and they got nothing. The lesson I learned was, either settle the debt or declare bankruptcy but don't think you are going to stall your way out of paying and don't think you will be able to outlast the SOL because in most cases, you won't.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will wait for the next call, give them my POB, ask to see something in writing, then timely DV from there. They will, at the very least, need to show me they are licensed to and authorized to collect any said debt. I have yet to see that from any of them. They are going to have to move a bit closer before any white flags are going up. I have the confidence to speak that way thanks to the many knowledgeable people who post here that are kind enough to share their experiences. Thanks to you all!