Strange, Strange Letter from Collection Agency

PinkiBee

Hello All. Recently I went online to the credit bureaus and began to dispute some items that I felt were inaccurate. One was from Midland Credit Management. I disputed them because it says the Original Creditor is "Associates" and I don't know what the heck that is, so I disputed it. Anyway, I get a letter from them today telling me:

"The purpose of this letter is to request your assistance so that we may reach a quick resolution to your dispute. We are attempting to verify your dispute and it would be helpful to have a copy of any documentation that you may have that substantiates your dispute. In the interm, we have requested that the 3 major consumer credit reporting agencies change the status of this account to "Disputed." And then they go on to ask me to mail them any checks, paid letters, police reports, etc to them. Then at the bottom with a * next to it, it says "Your credit report will not be updated if the federdal reporting period has expired or we have not previously reported on this account." (What does that mean???)

When you dispute items, do collectors usually send out letters like these??? Also, does this letter mean that they probably really can't verify or validate my dispute?? What should I do??:confused:

If you disputed the TL as "not mine" then they are most likely taking your dispute to mean that you are saying it's a fraudulent account (hence, requesting any police reports). It is not necessary for you to respond to the CA's request. They are required to provide to the CRAs their proof that the account is yours. Most likely they didn't have it and the CRAs requirements for verification are really nonexistent. The whole verification thing is really somewhat of a farce. I think when TLs get deleted is when the furnisher never responds to the CRAs. However, if a furnisher simply responds timely to the CRA and says "yes, this account does belong to that person," that's good enough for the CRA. It's not right, but it's the way it is, unfortunately. If you don't have an immediate need for the TL to be deleted (mortgage, auto loan) then, as the others have said, I'd just let it ride until November.

Do you think the OP should send a copy of the letter from the CA that admits they can't verify it? Wouldn't this prove the debt can't be verified and they should remove it? Call me silly, but I'd write a letter and demand the CRA's remove the TL or you will sue because they are reporting a TL that can not be verified. eh.. That's just me. BTW keep that letter in a file. You never know what will happen. The debt could be resold after Nov 07 and you will need it if another JDB purchase the account. If the current JDB can't verify then any further JDB down the food chain can't either.

I got the same exact letter from MCM today myself, this one came after I sent a letter of DV to them and didn't hear anything after 30 days so I sent a follow up letter saying they never validated the debt and they need to take it off my credit report within 30 days because they are in violation of the FDCPA. So today I open the mail box and get the same type of letter that is at the beginning of this thread. So they didn't validate and now they want ME to verify the debt! It sounds like they have no proof and they want me to do their work for them!

So my question is , what is my next move? It seems to me they need to take this off my CR . Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!