Payment to OC not posted????

kf74

My wife has a debt with AAFES (Army Air Force Exchange Service). We have been fighting it for several years now. The Federal Treasury Offset Program takes our tax return every year. Until last year I have filled an "injured spouse" claim with the IRS and received all of our return back.

In an effort to show sincerity, I let AAFES keep our return (05) to be applied toward the balance.

I have just pulled my wife's CR. AAFES has not updated the account and continue to report now inaccurate info. Are they violating my wife's rights?

Thanks......

"...debt with AAFES...fighting it for several years..."

Is the debt valid? Why have you been fighting it? Is the debt in default?

"...AAFES has not updated the account..."

If the debt is in default, the entire balance (including fees and interest) is due in full. A creditor may accept payments on defaulted debts at their discretion, but they are not under any obligation to do so. In addition, unless AAFES is updating frequently, an older (uncalculated) balance is often better for your score than an updated (and totally accurate) balance.

Technically, your CR should be 100% accurate. But it isn't always in your best interests to have everything shown that way.

Be careful what you wish for...you just may get it.

as former millitary, who had the aafes card.. I remember its was linked to my federal paycheck as per the contract. I did have a balance on mine at discharge how ever they made me stay in reception (ft knox) for an extra month to get the 1g paycheck to pay off the balance as they wouldnt disharge me owing the debt. So depending how they do things now, it still may be a federal debt. and subject to tax offset. there really is no fighting it. I assume you meant to just delay the paying of it (injured spouse). Now to your question. the law requires accurate reporting.(if they report) so if the balance is wrong dispute it. After that, i dont know, if you press the issue you may find the fbi, irs and whoever at your dooor... lol,,, :)

"Is the debt valid? Why have you been fighting it? Is the debt in default?

Long story short.....

Yes this is her debt. Her account went went past due because of a allotment that did not pay out, as did my account. I contacted AAFES to rectify the accounts and brought my account up to date. I attempted to bring my wife's account up but the rep told me that the account was assigned to a collector called OSI. I tried to deal with them, however they demanded too much.

As a result, I have been fighting this deal for a long time.

as former millitary, who had the aafes card.. I remember its was linked to my federal paycheck as per the contract. I did have a balance on mine at discharge how ever they made me stay in reception (ft knox) for an extra month to get the 1g paycheck to pay off the balance as they wouldnt disharge me owing the debt. So depending how they do things now, it still may be a federal debt. and subject to tax offset. there really is no fighting it. I assume you meant to just delay the paying of it (injured spouse). Now to your question. the law requires accurate reporting.(if they report) so if the balance is wrong dispute it. After that, i dont know, if you press the issue you may find the fbi, irs and whoever at your dooor... lol,,, :)

Sorry, I may have given too much info.

I say I am "fighting this" because I do not fell we should be dealing with this at all. I offered to bring the account up to speed as soon as I found out there was a problem. They declined to accept that. They would accept nothing less than full payment at the time which was not an option for us. $$$

We do not dispute owing the money. Just AAFES's tactics.

In light of that, I am just waiting for them to make a mistake I can capitalize on. Hence the original question.