Inquires...What's the "magic number"

Ffico

I have heard that "2" is an acceptable number, this coming from "credit repair experts" . Of course, this is just "hear say" and not fact.

Every credit card issuer has its own idea of what's acceptable. I personally don't like to have more than 3 on a report at any given time.

The credit bureaus have absolutely no reason to care how many inquiries you have.

Obviously they don't care, nor would I expect them to; however, if they give you a code "0038" - "too many inquiries", there has to be something they based that determination on.

Obviously they don't care, nor would I expect them to; however, if they give you a code "0038" - "too many inquiries", there has to be something they based that determination on.

Where/why are they giving you this "code"?

Where/why are they giving you this "code"?

When you pull a report, there are codes that refer to all negative information. i.e. 39 - Serious delingquency, 10 - proportion of balances to credit limits is too high, 18 - number of accounts with delinquency and so on.

When you pull a report, there are codes that refer to all negative information. i.e. 39 - Serious delingquency, 10 - proportion of balances to credit limits is too high, 18 - number of accounts with delinquency and so on.

Do you mean when you get your credit scores, and they tell you what factors are good and bad, and why your score isn't higher? Can you be more specific? Are you talking about a certain credit bureau? All three? Myfico.com?

Generally, I've never known these "reasons" to make sense. I once had one of those things manage to find plenty of fault with my 797 score. And yeah, I've seen many people get told they have "too many inquiries" when they only had one or two. And each bureau's "factors" criteria can differ.

But there really isn't a "magic number," because like I said, each creditor has its own ideas. I actually know people who have been approved for cards with over 30 :shock: inquiries on the pulled report. And people who have been turned down with 2.

Do you mean when you get your credit scores, and they tell you what factors are good and bad, and why your score isn't higher? Can you be more specific? Are you talking about a certain credit bureau? All three? Myfico.com?

Yes, I am referring to what factors made score lower. I get my information from a tri-merge pull at work. All bureaus have the codes that go along with the score. I guess trying to figure out their scoring model can be pointless.

Generally, I've never known these "reasons" to make sense. I once had one of those things manage to find plenty of fault with my 797 score.

Hey chickee...

I've got credit score envy.

:)