Collections - type of account

KDogg

I have several baddies on my CR, most of which are old and/or aging medical bills. One of the CA's lists the accounts it has as medical, but another lists its accounts as "retail". Could this be considered false reporting by the CA?

Also, I have one substantial (over $1000) paid account listed on my CR. This was for a procedure that was covered by Worker's Compensation; however, it took WC awhile to pay. In the meantime, the hospital referred the account to a CA who in turn contacted me. I informed them that it was a WC account and gave them my claim number. What proof do I need to obtain to prove the account should have never been placed on my CR and/or to convince the CRA's to remove it?

Check your state's WC laws. In Florida, it is illegal to bill a consumer for WC.

Personally, I'd start with the Data Furnisher. The CRA's are so automated and generally not responsive to consumers. Get the DF to withdraw the account because (possibly) it never should have been turned over to collections. Actually, since it's WC, it's not really YOUR bill. But, once again, this depends on state law.

If WV law is not specific on the illegality, then correct procedure was followed. You would have to target inaccuracies in the TL to get it removed.

I have several baddies on my CR, most of which are old and/or aging medical bills. One of the CA's lists the accounts it has as medical, but another lists its accounts as "retail". Could this be considered false reporting by the CA?

Also, I have one substantial (over $1000) paid account listed on my CR. This was for a procedure that was covered by Worker's Compensation; however, it took WC awhile to pay. In the meantime, the hospital referred the account to a CA who in turn contacted me. I informed them that it was a WC account and gave them my claim number. What proof do I need to obtain to prove the account should have never been placed on my CR and/or to convince the CRA's to remove it?

I would contact the hospital/patient accounts, as they would have records of the date of service and when it was paid. There is a record that this was paid and when. Get someone from that department, possibly a manager if necessary to pull your account and have them contact the collection agency and the credit bureaus to have it removed. Ask for written proof of the bill being paid from the hospital on their letterhead and notification that they will contact the collection agency and the credit bureaus to have it removed. It worked for me! I then sent a copy of this letter certified to the credit bureaus as additional proof for deletion. :boxing:

Thanks for the replies, these will help in a great way as I wasn't sure exactly where to start. Regarding the Data Furnisher, I assume this would be the hospital. The only problem I can forsee at the moment is that the hospital was recently sold and changed names. Hopefully they will still have something on file in the records room.

Thanks again!