Ex-Wife

I have been trying to get my ex-wife name off the credit cards. I have had to take on all the debit and the credit card company will not take her name off. I have no credit because she had already destroyed it. I do not know what else to do I have called, and they tell me they can not. In my divorce it says I have to and I am not sure what to do.

I have never had a joint holder on my cc accounts; however, I would think that the best course of action is for you to cancel the cards which you hold jointly with your ex-wife. I know it's tough to lose the age of those accounts, which will ding your FICO, but there's too great a risk that your ex could possibly continue to charge on the cards. Keep in mind that the cc companies are not bound by your divorce decree. Should any of those accounts go into collection they will pursue your ex-wife for repayment as vigorously as they do you. The reason that they refuse to remove her name is that they want the option of pursuing her for collection should it ever come to that.

If your user i.d. is your real name, you need to change it ASAP.

Breathing Easier gave the longer form of what I meant.

The only way to remove her name on a joint account is to close it. Yes, that will hurt FICO, but you can rebuild from that point.

If there's a balance on the cards, it'll also ding her FICO -- utilization on a closed account with a balance is technically infinite. (Payback's a bitch, but this is a legal form.)

Get a good secured card for yourself: National City has a good one.

1) They're a prime bank.

2) Min deposit is $250; max is $2500. Takes about a month to get from time they cash your check and pull your credit.

3) Annual fee is $36 billed as $3/month.

4) Reports as unsecured to all three CRAs.

5) They do convert some people, however, you'd have to qualify for their regular card at time of conversion AND apparently they'll open this as a new tradeline. They are picky, though, so don't expect it unless your scores are above average (720) when you ask.

6) They won't approve someone actually in BK, but they do approve almost everyone else (I haven't heard of anyone being declined). This is in marked contrast to Wells Fargo and Bank of America, whose secured cards are fairly hard to get.

You have to call for an application. Phone # is 800-762-0974.

I have been trying to get my ex-wife name off the credit cards. I have had to take on all the debit and the credit card company will not take her name off. I have no credit because she had already destroyed it. I do not know what else to do I have called, and they tell me they can not. In my divorce it says I have to and I am not sure what to do.

Well, I agree w/ the others. Here's another possibility...IF you pay the balance, will they then remove her name and consider having the account or reopening a separate acct in your name?

What exactly does your divorce decree state with regard to these? Well, unfortunately, bill collectors aren't bound by your divorce terms. What you'll need to do is return to court and let them know that the cc companies refused to have her name removed. Was she allowed to charge these up and walk away, then?

Sigh...if it were me, I'd try to offer to pay up one in FULL and than have her name removed...start over.

Elyse