Just got approved for AMEX GOLD Rewards

I get home the other day to find a letter saying that I'm pre-approved for an AMEX Gold card. So I'm like yeah right. I have been wanting to get an AMEX card for a while but heard they are hard to get. Last time I check my credit I had a JDB collections on my report that I have been trying to get off. But for some reason I just said go for it so I logged to the address they gave me, entered the invite # along with my personal info then BAM... they said I was approved and that I should get my card in 10 days.

Now, I orginally wanted the Delta Sky Miles AMEX because I wanted to take advantage of sky mile rewards. However, is the gold card a better card to have? I do get rewards on the gold. I know you can't carry a balance with the gold. Now that I got approved, could I cancel the gold and just tell them to send me a Delta Sky card?

Please advise.

Now that I got approved, could I cancel the gold and just tell them to send me a Delta Sky card?

It doesn't work that way. They aren't going to send it to you just b/c you tell them to. You would need to actually apply for the Delta card. Word is...the Delta Skymiles card is one of the easiest to be approved for. I was approved w/ 2 COs and a paid collection. Once I got the card, I used it once and then applied for the Blue Cash...and then the Clear. BUT not all experiences are the same. Do a search for "Delta" and you'll find many helpful threads. If you really need the TL, don't cancel the Gold card until you're approved for the Delta.

I get home the other day to find a letter saying that I'm pre-approved for an AMEX Gold card. So I'm like yeah right. I have been wanting to get an AMEX card for a while but heard they are hard to get. Last time I check my credit I had a JDB collections on my report that I have been trying to get off. But for some reason I just said go for it so I logged to the address they gave me, entered the invite # along with my personal info then BAM... they said I was approved and that I should get my card in 10 days.

Now, I orginally wanted the Delta Sky Miles AMEX because I wanted to take advantage of sky mile rewards. However, is the gold card a better card to have? I do get rewards on the gold. I know you can't carry a balance with the gold. Now that I got approved, could I cancel the gold and just tell them to send me a Delta Sky card?

Please advise.

Congratulations!!!!! I really do LOVE hearing these stories.

Elyse

Thanks guys.

Anybody know how this no pre-set spending limit works? I mean, if I want to spend $3000 on a plasma, will the transaction just get approved? And how is it reported to the CRA's?

I'm petty excited. There's a hefty annual fee but paying that is nothing. I just want something that will give me rewards towards air travel or hotels and will improve my credit.

Thanks guys.

Anybody know how this no pre-set spending limit works? I mean, if I want to spend $3000 on a plasma, will the transaction just get approved? And how is it reported to the CRA's?

I'm petty excited. There's a hefty annual fee but paying that is nothing. I just want something that will give me rewards towards air travel or hotels and will improve my credit.

Congrats on the approval! And as far as the spending limit is concerned, you need to have a history with the card and paying it off to get certain transactions. For instanace, since $3000 isn't too much then you should have no problem. But if you want to know if a transaction will go through then just call and ask. In fact I reccommend that you do. Before I went on vacation I called to see if a $3000 charge would be approved for my Green card.

The CSR simply put through a dummy charge for an amount over $3000 and everything was approved. Amex likes to know in advance....Enjoy the card!

P.S.- Since there is no "limit" then only your high balance gets reported.