Debt Settled What now?

Palindari

I've settled a back child support issue - yet the County and State governments still have my credit report held hostage. State even has me falsely down twice for the same issue - only one child.

My question is this - who's responsible to report a settled debt? the creditor or consumer? Seems to me that if the creditor reported it - isn't it their responsibility to remove it upon completion?

I've read both the Creditor's and Consumer's Acts and I can't find where it covers that - does anyone know?

Child Support, like student loans and federal tax liens are in a category unto themselves.

Most listings on your CR fall under the regulation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The 3 listed above are governed by other laws which override the FCRA. Because of the crack-down on non-paying parents over the past 20 years, Child Support laws have lots of teeth and cause huge problems for consumers. Start by researching your state's laws

"...creditor reported it...responsibility to remove..."

A "settled" issue ordinarily doesn't get removed. It would probably get updated to reflect your settlement after delinquency.

What's really bad here is this...

The original debt was $7000.

So the County is listed for that...

And the State of California is listed twice...

So it looks like I owe $21,000 in child support!

State will not talk to me - it has to be handled through the County level to them. What's worse is that I'm in the process of trying to buy a house and this has become a HUGE stumbling block...

"...this has become a HUGE stumbling block..."

Yeah, CS is like that. Dealing with Govt agencies in California is another hurdle all on it's own. Many county/city gov't agencies don't report, even CS. They place derogatory data on Public Records which find their way onto your CR by convoluted ways.

So, is this CS entry a Public Record (judgment or lien) or simply a TL? Either way, the Case Worker assigned to your case can be a good place to start.