Collec. Agency says they were hired just to make contact, not bought debt from citi?

zackattack

Hello, Ive done quite a bit of reading here but Im trying to take care of a CC debt that has gone to collections. My problem is, im not sure how to procede, the collection agency that contacted me, said that they "dont own the debt, that citi hired them just to make contact and see if we can settle privately" ... I sent them a letter for verification, still waiting on their reply, however im not sure how i should procede since citi maybe still owns the debt?

Should I ask the CA what has been done in regards to this debt including any information placed on my credit report? Or should I call Citi? Really, any plan of action help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Im sure some of you know how much help in this matter means to someone like me

-Z.

Welcome...

Sounds to me like the CA is just trying to start out friendly in the hopes of talking you into something you might not need to do.

Its not at all unusual for CC company to "still own the debt" and contract with a CA to hassle you. You've done the right thing by asking for verification.

If you have money to work with...then, yes, call Citi and see what you can work out. You'll need to get past the first wave of phone jockey's but you might be able to negotiate a "hardship" plan...