Wolpoff jugdment

Hello everyone... newbie here. Posted this question under COLLECTIONS but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask it here as well :D

* I was summoned to appear in court last fall by W&A. Not knowing any better, I ignored it and just yesterday got a letter from W&A that read: "As you are aware a judgment was entered against you."

a. Am I wrong to think I should have been told there was a hearing?

b. How come the court never let ME know a judge had ruled on the case?

c. The letter also states, "Court rules allow us to subpoena you to court to question you about your assets. As a courtesy, we will allow you to voluntarily answer and return the questions on the reverse side of this letter." Should I answer all the personal questions?

d. It's for a small amount I think I may be able to pay off in a couple months... should I contact W&A to make payment arrangements or try to vacate the judgment (even though I know it's my debt)?

Thanks in advance for your help everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

I was summoned to appear in court last fall by W&A. Not knowing any better, I ignored it ...
How come the court never let ME know a judge had ruled on the case?

Don't take this the wrong way but, you would have known if you went to court.

The court will make sure you don't ignore these latest requests from the judgment creditor if you know what I mean. You need to work out a deal with W&A. You might consider discussing your options with an attorney before proceeding further.

Agreed...ingnoring the problem will not make it go away. To the OP, you were told of the hearing when you received the summons.....as for the Judge letting you know about his ruling, appears as though W&A is taking care of that for you.

Do as Nascar suggests...contact an atty now

The Aussie

Point well taken. I learned a great big deal and will NEVER ignore anything (esp. court summons) from now on :oops:

That said, do you suggest I answer the "voluntary questionaire" bit on the other side of the letter? Will W&A really supoena me otherwise? If it's an amount I think I may be able to pay off in a few months, do you still think I should seek an attorney's help?

Thank you again for the responses!!!!!

Do you recommend I call them or shall I write them and suggest a payment plan? I'm assuming (with the default judgment) it's too late to talk about a possible settlement? I owe just a little over $1000.

Thanks again!

Call them first. But don't get too excited, if you didn't show up for court, they probably won't expect you to respond to anything written. But you never know.

Or, as others have said, try to have it vacated. Search the site for "vacating judgements".

Now, the other problem you may have is now that you have a judgement against you, it may be public record. Thats a nice ding on your credit report. I had one and it jumps out at you on your CR. Others here may give you more information on that.

Call them Monday morning and let us know what happens.