Do collectors communicate with each other concerning the same debtor??

gcmoore

For instance, if you have a debt with collector A, and aren't making payments. But you begin payments with collector B on an entirely different account that has nothing to do with them. Would collector A in some cases contact the other company to find out how much my monthly payments are, if I'm paying using a checking account, and if so, where the bank is located, and other questions? Or are collectors not allowed to exchange details like that? I'm sure they all work together and probably talk, but I'd like to know for sure. Thanks.

I don't believe one collector is going to release competitive information to the other ... though it's not exactly the Coca-Cola formula, releasing information about your bank account, the amount you're paying, etc. could easily allow the competition to get some money the first collector would otherwise have gotten, or might drive the debtor to bankruptcy.

Collectors are going to jealously guard their slice of the pie.

I was just thinking, even if the creditor refused to knowingly reveal personal details to a 3rd party, there isn't much to stop another creditor from callling and pretending to be me. Afterall, they have my social security, address, and contact info for all my creditors from my credit report. No privacy.

One collector is not going to give up his source of income to another debt collector. It just doesnt happen.

I did however have an excellent connection with someone at Citibank! They gave me all the info I ever wanted to know. They helped me locate one of my coolest skip traces, a two time academy award winner! This individual had changed their name and moved from the east coast to the west coast.

One collector is not going to give up his source of income to another debt collector. It just doesnt happen.

I did however have an excellent connection with someone at Citibank! They gave me all the info I ever wanted to know. They helped me locate one of my coolest skip traces, a two time academy award winner! This individual had changed their name and moved from the east coast to the west coast.

I think there are always loop holes some where. As long as someone has your social security number and name, they could probably find a way to obtain any information they wanted about someone.