Utility Company From 10 years ago contacted me about debt

gcmoore

I don't know why collectors are suddenly crawling out of the woodwork, but a collector contacted me concerning a past due utility bill from 10 years ago. I don't have any old bills to show the debt was from that long ago. So what should I do? Ignore it, since it's past SOL or ask them to validate anyway? Maybe they're hoping I'll get a big refund or something. Also, let's say they did take this to court. What could I use to proove this is past SOL since I have nothing at this time?

SOL is state law. You list "USA" making it impossible for us to determine your location.

Some states have a Statute of Repose. Basically SOR means the debt is no longer valid if it is past SOL. Unless your state has an SOR, the debt is valid, even if SOL and Reporting Time Period has expired. So a CA attempting to collect is only that, an attempt. If it pays off for them, that letter was a very cost-effective way to get paid. If not, they go on to the next sucker. There are consumers who pay old bills like this.

Don't worry about a lawsuit until it happens. Dispute the bill. You can do this as easily as writing "I dispute" in purple crayon, but I'd recommend sending it CMRRR. Forget about proving the account is past SOL. If anything comes of this, place the burden on the CA. Make them prove the debt is valid.

SOL is state law. You list "USA" making it impossible for us to determine your location.

Some states have a Statute of Repose. Basically SOR means the debt is no longer valid if it is past SOL. Unless your state has an SOR, the debt is valid, even if SOL and Reporting Time Period has expired. So a CA attempting to collect is only that, an attempt. If it pays off for them, that letter was a very cost-effective way to get paid. If not, they go on to the next sucker. There are consumers who pay old bills like this.

Don't worry about a lawsuit until it happens. Dispute the bill. You can do this as easily as writing "I dispute" in purple crayon, but I'd recommend sending it CMRRR. Forget about proving the account is past SOL. If anything comes of this, place the burden on the CA. Make them prove the debt is valid.

What is SOR short for? Regardless of the state, I'm sure after 10 years a utility bill debt is past the SOL to take me to court. I was just wondering how I would prove it's past SOL if the company decides to take a chance and summons me to court anyway. I'll just dispute it by certified mail anyway. It's not on my credit report, so maybe they're just sending the letter because it's tax season. If the company responds with correct validation that will be my proof of how old the debt is.

Utility bills are "open accounts" and as far as I know no State has an SoL over 10 years for open accounts.

One way to prove the age of the account is if you have moved or if you changed utility providers and can show it.

If you have not lived at the address they claim service on for over 10 years, then that establishes the age of the account.

If you established service with another provider and can show that then that also establishes the age of that account.

Send them a DV letter. That will probably be the end of it. JDBs are looking for gullible consumers, not ones that know, or know enough, about their rights.

Utility bills are "open accounts" and as far as I know no State has an SoL over 10 years for open accounts.

One way to prove the age of the account is if you have moved or if you changed utility providers and can show it.

If you have not lived at the address they claim service on for over 10 years, then that establishes the age of the account.

If you established service with another provider and can show that then that also establishes the age of that account.

Send them a DV letter. That will probably be the end of it. JDBs are looking for gullible consumers, not ones that know, or know enough, about their rights.

Will do!

Look up...top of page...says statute of limitations. click. scroll down

Wow, I should have stayed in Kansas. 3-5 years SOL on every category. Wyoming sticks it to ya at 8-10 years. Sheesh! I looked it up because last week I received an old phone bill from a utility company I had in Kansas. Haven't lived there since 1997 or 1998.

The following statute below is from the State of Kansas web site. The link on this page (above) states 3 years on open accounts. I have seen another post somewhere on this site who disagreed with the 3 year and insisted it is 5 years for open accounts in Kansas? This looks to be the case going by the wording in the statute however, the link above also mentions "Please note: a credit card is ALWAYS an open account. This is established under the Truth-in-Lending Act:" Can someone clarify? I don't see any wording about open ended accounts on the Kansas web site but I could have missed it.

Also, the OC is back on the CR but has the DOLA from the first CA (whom I DV and ITS two years ago) and not the second (current) CA. What DOLA do I go by when determining the SOL?

60-512

Chapter 60.--PROCEDURE, CIVIL

Article 5.--LIMITATIONS OF ACTIONS

60-512. Actions limited to three years. The following actions shall be brought within three (3) years: (1) All actions upon contracts, obligations or liabilities expressed or implied but not in writing. (2) An action upon a liability created by a statute other than a penalty or forfeiture.

History: L. 1963, ch. 303, 60-512; Jan. 1, 1964.

Heres one for you. My sister had an account with heilig myers about 12 years ago! They went under and she went to make a payment at a local store. They told her they could not accept any payments from anyone. Now 12 years later a jdb started calling her at work and sending letters demanding payment in full.

How many consumers would pay a company like that? Why purchase the note?