Dual reporting of the same debt

KDogg

I had a cable disconnect back in 2004 which was paid when I had the cable reconnected a few months later. In the meantime, the debt was reported to a CA - Credit Management LP.

Now here's the problems.

First of all, they reported it on both my CR and my wife's. I don't recall whose name the bill was in (I'm pretty sure it was mine though) but it was never in both names at the same time.

Second, it's showing a different status on each report. On mine, it shows "paid closed collection account" while on hers it's still claiming "unpaid collection". And yes, it's the same account - CA, account number, amount, etc. all match.

I'm almost certain it's illegal to report one person's debt on another's CR, so a dispute with "not mine" should be in order. What else can I use for a bargaining chip to have both accounts completely removed from our CR? Any of those $1000 violations apply here? Any advice would be great!

I had a cable disconnect back in 2004 which was paid when I had the cable reconnected a few months later. In the meantime, the debt was reported to a CA - Credit Management LP.

Now here's the problems.

First of all, they reported it on both my CR and my wife's. I don't recall whose name the bill was in (I'm pretty sure it was mine though) but it was never in both names at the same time.

Second, it's showing a different status on each report. On mine, it shows "paid closed collection account" while on hers it's still claiming "unpaid collection". And yes, it's the same account - CA, account number, amount, etc. all match.

I'm almost certain it's illegal to report one person's debt on another's CR, so a dispute with "not mine" should be in order. What else can I use for a bargaining chip to have both accounts completely removed from our CR? Any of those $1000 violations apply here? Any advice would be great!

I'm having a similar problem of duplicate reporting, but the debt has been paid on mine.