Can disputed collections show up on a credit report?

sam1174

If I dispute a collection within 30 days, and then pay off the original creditor within the same 30 days, can the CA "legally" post that as a collection on my credit report?

I know they can do it, because they did it, but I thought the FCRA said I had 30 days to dispute it, and if I worked it out it could not show on my credit report as derogatory.

If you pay the OC directly, make it conditional on "recall of the collection." That's different than PFD. In this case the OC simply tells the CA they are no longer going to use their services for that account. Recall of the collection revokes all authority from the CA to act on the account, including reporting to the bureaus.

If I dispute a collection within 30 days, and then pay off the original creditor within the same 30 days, can the CA "legally" post that as a collection on my credit report?

I know they can do it, because they did it, but I thought the FCRA said I had 30 days to dispute it, and if I worked it out it could not show on my credit report as derogatory.

IMO, the Collection shouldn't be on your CR, IF the CA follows the law.

Here's my Experience:

In March 2004 I had Disputed a "Paid Debt" with the OC,

which was ignored.

In June 2004 I had Disputed the same debt with the CA with strong documentation, within the 30 day period, and believe it or not, the CA went away. Never reporting to the CRAs. I'd thought this was the end of the matter.

Here it is 2007, and I happen to find the JDB (not the OC) on my most recent

(January 2007) CRs for the same "Paid Debt." The JDB never sent a written notice to me. I would have Disputed the debt and submitted my documentation to the JDB or DV'd the JDB to get them on some Violations first. :D

The OC thinks I lost my evidence from 2004 and sold or transferred the "Paid Debt" to a JDB 2 1/2 years later???!!!

I know that I will get the CRAs or the JDB to Delete it OR get them on some violations, but... I find all this "credit stuff" can be a time-consuming never-ending confusing process. Very Aggravating! I have much better things to do with my life.