WOW. I thought I had heard it all until today.

Methuss

My co-worker has to be in court tomorrow morning at 9:30 with his wife.

His wife was sued by a debt collector attorney for $30k. The debt actually belongs to her uncle. She never had any signing authority and acted only as a Spanish-English translator for him.

This is where it get interresting.

The debt collector attorney had someone show up at the initial hearing (which my co-worker's wife didn't know about at all) impersonating her and swearing the debt was valid (no contest). Since it was a hearing and the IL circuit court requires a trial for claims this large, a trial date was set.

When she finally got wind of it, filed a motion to continue and went to the second hearing, the judge saw her and took note that the first person that showed up claiming to be her was not the person standing in front of him now.

I smell disbarrment.

How did she find out about it anyways?

The court sent her a trial notice. In IL, plaintiffs can serve initial hearing notices themselves through a hired service processor but the court clerk must send trial notices... Gotta love the Capone State; so many inconsistancies.

This lawyer is from Rockford, not Chicago. I think he was trying to get a no-contest judgment with this stunt because in Winnebago county (Rockford) they don't require a trial for sums this large. In Cook county they do.

OK co-worker is back from the courthouse. The attorney debt collector showed up for the trial, but the judge had an emergency session to deal with and ordered the trial back 2 hours.

The attorney debt collector saw the real consumer in the courtroom and simply didn't come back 2 hours later when the trial started. Loose by default.

Guess he didn't want to get questioned by the judge.