Anisah_H

Doing Bankruptcy Pro-se

Has anyone done it Pro-se? How long does it take to get it all together and file it? I am still working on getting my reports, but I want to be ready.

Does it stop actions immediately, or not until they are notified? I am trying to keep from getting evicted, and I can't afford a lawyer.

Thanks.

Lots of people do it Pro Se, that doesn't mean it's a good idea. Under the new law, going pro se is a very, very risky business, your case could be dismissed for all kinds of things that weren't much of a problem before the new law. Once dismissed, your next filing comes with a much-abbreviated automatic stay. If that case gets dismissed and you try a 3rd time, there is NO automatic stay at all.

There has been a large number or pro se cases being dismissed since the new law passed, there are just too many pitfalls to try and go it alone anymore, too many risks.

The automatic stay doesn't drop into place until you actually file your papers and you get a case number. Once assigned a case number, it's official and the automatic stay goes into effect. Credtors will be notified by the court, and usually takes at least a week via snail mail.

Try to find a lawyer to do it pro bono. Contact your state bar association and you may get a list of attorneys who may be willing to take your case.

definately call the state bar association. try and find an atty that's also a trustee he or she won't be the usual ham and egger bottom feeder that way since the trustees have to go through thorough FBI background checks.

if you haven't filed your taxes yet, an atty may be willing to take the refund as part of what you owe.