lawyer fees for settling a debt?

pjoner

I currently have a consultation setup with a lawyer this coming Monday in regards to two debts that have been bought out by Midland Credit Management. I am just curious on what a fair rate would be in order for a lawyer to negotiate and draft up a settlement agreement with this JDB. I do not feel comfortable discussing the debt with them and would rather have a lawyer take care of it but I do not want to pay too much for the service. anyone have an idea of what the going rate should be?

In most metro areas attorneys charge $250 an hour. If you are trying to settle a large sum, it would be worth your while just based on that. For sub $1000 debt, that's another matter...

The only time it is worth paying a lawyer that kind of money to negotiate on a sub $1000 debt is if your true goal is getting it off your credit reports and you don't care about how much it costs to do so.

the debts are worth around 8 and 5.5k each. I like in NYC so I can see the fees being higher then expected. I am looking for a settlement below 50% if possible. I do not feel comfortable calling MCM and discussing it myself. I would have a greater piece of mind having a lawyer having a lawyer negogiating and drafting the letter.