Letter from an attorney

I have received a letter from an attorney asking me to pay about $6,500. I stopped paying credit card debt due to unemployment in march 2002. at that time in lived in GA but now I live in Virginia. I think in Virgina statue of limitation is 3 years.

Can someone guide me on how to pursue this? Should I send a letter to the attorney asking for verification of debt? since I have passed statue of limitations (I think I have.. wonder when does that period start) can they still take me to court?

thanks

shahab

SOL starts 180 days after your last payment. VA statute is 5 years on written contracts, 3 years on oral, 3 years on open accounts. Sometimes CC companies like to try to use the written account sol due to the fact it is usually longer. You can dispute this. Who owns the account? The OC or did they sell it to a CA/JDB?

Does the letter say you have 30 days to dispute. If so, ask to be provided proof in a letter.

SOL starts 180 days after your last payment. VA statute is 5 years on written contracts, 3 years on oral, 3 years on open accounts. Sometimes CC companies like to try to use the written account sol due to the fact it is usually longer. You can dispute this. Who owns the account? The OC or did they sell it to a CA/JDB?

Does the letter say you have 30 days to dispute. If so, ask to be provided proof in a letter.

correction .. charge off is 180 days. your SOL starts on the last day your payment was due.. NOT 180 after

• 4 weeks later...