Really Overwhelmed about how to Start CR Process

fiestyangel1

Hi everyone. Just starting the repair process. Have found alot of valuable info on your website and even printed it out. But have gotten overwhelmed as to what to do first, besides getting a CR. Do I dispute w/CA's or OC's first ? Do I do VD in a dispute letter ?

My husband & I have about 3 entries apiece re: med bills thru a CA, he has a bk w/ a co listed, and a cc (unpaid ).

Also in Aug'06, Bank of America, put a hold on hubby's checks at the drive up window on the day I went to deposit w/no prior written notice, which started a domino effect. Now that's Jan '07 the acct's closedw/bal at $-424.17 & we're getting calls from a CA to pay the amount of $496.27 Is this legal for them to increase the amount owed ? And how do I keep this from hitting our CR's? Thanks in advance for ANY input you can give.

Sincerely,

fiestyangel1

First off, you did the right thing by coming here. This place is truly a GOLD MINE, I can't iterate that enough.

Secondly, read-read-read and read some more. If you can't find a topic you're looking for, there is a search section where you can enter a basic topic request and it'll pull up conversations matching that request.

Thirdly-take a big, deep breath and relax. This too shall pass and it's JUST money. Don't let it take hold of your life, it'll disable you. You need to be able to think clearly and not be intimidated.

Ok, as far as your questions here are my thoughts...

You said; "Do I dispute w/CA's or OC's first?"

I always disputed with the CA's first. If they are the ones with the account, they are the ones you dispute with. If the debt is STILL with the OC, you'll probably want to request verification to be sure of their billing, dates, etc. I would DEFINITELY go about this in a more kind matter as they have the ability to work with you better should you need to settle on the debt at a later time.

You said; "Do I do VD in a dispute letter?"

LOL, you mean DV? Review the "sample letters" and see what would apply to you. The link is at the top of this page on the upper right side of the "Good credit is sexy..." book ad. If you are unsure if the debt is truly yours, request a debt validation. If you KNOW the debt IS NOT yours, request DV along with a dispute that it isn't your debt.

You said; My husband & I have about 3 entries a piece re: med bills thru a CA, he has a bk w/ a co listed, and a cc (unpaid ).

When did these occur? BK? Med bills? CC?

What are the amounts?

The BK did NOT include the given debts?

You said; Also in Aug'06, Bank of America, put a hold on hubby's checks at the drive up window on the day I went to deposit w/no prior written notice, which started a domino effect.

Did they ever deposit your item? Did you ever ask them what this was about? They put a hold on his check? Does this mean they wouldn't cash a check HE wrote or one written to him? I'm a bit confused here. Either way, it looks like maybe some hold was on the acct and the checks trying to come through simply either went unpaid or some were paid and you were charged fees on top of that...you may want to request a complete accounting of how this amount was reached.

You then said; Now that's Jan '07 the acct's closed w/bal at $-424.17 & we're getting calls from a CA to pay the amount of $496.27 Is this legal for them to increase the amount owed"? And how do I keep this from hitting our CR's?

Yes. They're adding interest on the debt. Like this makes it easier for you to pay it, huh? How do you keep it from hitting your CR's? Can you pay it in exchange for their written agreement to NOT report?

Those are my initial ideas. Welcome! :)

Elyse

First off, you did the right thing by coming here. This place is truly a GOLD MINE, I can't iterate that enough.

Secondly, read-read-read and read some more. If you can't find a topic you're looking for, there is a search section where you can enter a basic topic request and it'll pull up conversations matching that request.

Thirdly-take a big, deep breath and relax. This too shall pass and it's JUST money. Don't let it take hold of your life, it'll disable you. You need to be able to think clearly and not be intimidated.

Ok, as far as your questions here are my thoughts...

You said; "Do I dispute w/CA's or OC's first?"

I always disputed with the CA's first. If they are the ones with the account, they are the ones you dispute with. If the debt is STILL with the OC, you'll probably want to request verification to be sure of their billing, dates, etc. I would DEFINITELY go about this in a more kind matter as they have the ability to work with you better should you need to settle on the debt at a later time.

You said; "Do I do VD in a dispute letter?"

LOL, you mean DV? Review the "sample letters" and see what would apply to you. The link is at the top of this page on the upper right side of the "Good credit is sexy..." book ad. If you are unsure if the debt is truly yours, request a debt validation. If you KNOW the debt IS NOT yours, request DV along with a dispute that it isn't your debt.

You said; My husband & I have about 3 entries a piece re: med bills thru a CA, he has a bk w/ a co listed, and a cc (unpaid ).

What are the amounts?

You said; Also in Aug'06, Bank of America, put a hold on hubby's checks at the drive up window on the day I went to deposit w/no prior written notice, which started a domino effect.

Did they ever deposit your item? Did you ever ask them what this was about?They put a hold on his check? Does this mean they wouldn't cash a check HE wrote or one written to him? They put a hold on his check? Does this mean they wouldn't cash a check HE wrote or one written to him? I'm a bit confused here. Either way, it looks like maybe some hold was on the acct and the checks trying to come through simply either went unpaid or some were paid and you were charged fees on top of that...you may want to request a complete accounting of how this amount was reached.

You then said; Now that's Jan '07 the acct's closed w/bal at $-424.17 & we're getting calls from a CA to pay the amount of $496.27 Is this legal for them to increase the amount owed"? And how do I keep this from hitting our CR's?

Yes. They're adding interest on the debt. Like this makes it easier for you to pay it, huh? How do you keep it from hitting your CR's? Can you pay it in exchange for their written agreement to NOT report?

Those are my initial ideas. Welcome! :)

Elyse

Thanks for your input and sorry about the confusion.

Okay, Responses to your questions as follows :

You asked--

What are the amounts?

Answers-(Ans) -Bk was in 2/2000 before we were a couple- This is TU-everything listed on CR says "Inc in Bk" except one -it's listed as "charged off as a bad debt" in the pay status-with "Profit and Loss Writeoff" in the remarks- $4584.00 bal. listed. That's a major incorrect listing, right?

Ans:The med bills and cc -after we were married- The med bills range fr-$300. to $800.00

Next, Re; B of A- You asked : Did they ever deposit your item? They put a hold on his check? Does this mean they wouldn't cash a check HE wrote or one written to him?

Ans: Yes. Yes. A check written to him- his paycheck. Written by the same person each week, drawn on the same account(every check had & still has same bank logo /address on it) each week and deposited to our account each week on Mon. morn. for the last 2 and 1/2 yrs.

You asked-- Did you ever ask them what this was about?

Ans: Yes. I asked "Why- was there a problem?" [Just keep in mind that I was battling a negative acct bal of approx. $40.-$60.00 for the previous 4 weeks prior to this situation and depositing these checks the same way each time - a $500.-$700. deposit minus $50.00 cash back each week]

They (the teller(s) handling the transaction) told me that they had to start enforcing the "funds availablity policy" because they were beginning to get into trouble with the "big guys upstairs" ( the bank is in a 1-story building)

because they hadn't been following policy. I assume the bank mgr or someone of the sort... They (the teller) said she would give me the $50. this time, but this was the last time she could do it that way.

I then asked her "By placing the funds on hold now-would that not cause my outstanding transactions to bounce or be returned? Her answer- at first dead silence then she spoke and said that's why the deposit is on hold, to keep us from having anymore negative balances.

This drive-up window transaction should have taken about 5 minutes, I was in the drive thru for about 20 minutes. Also, the teller would also tell me "I'll be right back, my drawer is up front."

Finally, wondering what to do, I said thank-you and drove away(after getting my dep. slip of course,) and came home. the next week pretty much the same thing happened. I came home and got online to B of A customer service thru the B of A site to ask why my account /deposits / checks were placed on hold. The next day I rec'd an email back, with some helpful info.

You ask- Why didn't I talk to the branch manager in person at the bank?

Because I've tried to deal with her in the past on various things concerning the account and to absolutely no avail. She won't budge on anything and always told me that she would have to "get approval" and they (they who, I'm not sure) wouldn't approve a thing like that.

I hope this clears up some of your confusion and anymore input would be very helpful.

Thanks,

fiestyangel1

:)++

O.k this is how I did it, and I just started this whole process a couple of months ago.

I had to get all my CR and then looked them over.

I downloaded all the letters and instructions onto my computer and created a file saying Credit Repair.

Then I started with the CA's.

I circled all the CA's that are in each credit report and sent a DV letter to each one of them.

Now I also created a sub folder in Credit Repair with the different CRA's. I then put a copy of all the letters that I created with the different CA's on them to remember whom I DV'd.

Then I went online and disputed with the CRA's ( Just the CA's only).

I sent each letter certified and went online to the Postal Office's website to be notified by email when each letter was delivered. That way you have proof sent you by e-mail as well.

I had about 7 deletions by this method alone. Now I have just recieved the responses from the CA's that are validating it and am trying to get them on technicalities. Some of them are also rapidly approaching the SOL date so I'm trying to keep them busy until then.

This is where I'm at right now. Good luck and remember to read, read, read!

:)++

O.k this is how I did it, and I just started this whole process a couple of months ago.

I had to get all my CR and then looked them over.

I downloaded all the letters and instructions onto my computer and created a file saying Credit Repair.

Then I started with the CA's.

I circled all the CA's that are in each credit report and sent a DV letter to each one of them.

Now I also created a sub folder in Credit Repair with the different CRA's. I then put a copy of all the letters that I created with the different CA's on them to remember whom I DV'd.

Then I went online and disputed with the CRA's ( Just the CA's only).

I sent each letter certified and went online to the Postal Office's website to be notified by email when each letter was delivered. That way you have proof sent you by e-mail as well.

I had about 7 deletions by this method alone. Now I have just recieved the responses from the CA's that are validating it and am trying to get them on technicalities. Some of them are also rapidly approaching the SOL date so I'm trying to keep them busy until then.

This is where I'm at right now. Good luck and remember to read, read, read!

Sounds like you have a great method for organizing. I have a question for you. The CAs that you did manage to delete, were they old? Do you mind asking which CAs they were?