orgaknight

State Registration of Licensing of Debt Collectors

I am in the process of doing a first round DV with RJM Acquisitions LLC on a 8 year old and time barred closed bank account. I noticed in the recommended DV format letter that there is a reference to "being licensed in my state". I followed this up, because I live in Florida and found out that they are not registered in my state to collect. Furthermore, it appears to be a violation of the law for them to collect in my state without being registered and they can be fined damages of $1000 payable to me if I pursue. Do you think they will respond to the DV and drop the matter or will they defiantly post the reaged debt to my credit reports, forcing me to sue?

I will wait and see if they attempt to validate the debt and then use their response to file a state consumer complaint against them as being unlicensed to collect, reaging the time barred debt and violating the FCRA. I would then follow with a letter to them stating intent to file suit and proceed accordingly. Hmmm. Stay tuned.

RJM is not registered in FL. If you plan on doing this in court, you need to get that in writing from the state.

You are half right on the penalty. The penalty for operating without registration is a fine, but can only be enforced by the state (it can actually be a first class misdemeanor). The way you use this is that collecting without registration is threatening action that cannot legally be taken, which is a violation of 559.72 and the FDCPA.

Where can I find out if adebt collector is licensed to collect in my state (NJ)?

Thanks ;)

You send a letter to the NJ Dept of Revenue asking if the CA has a bond on file. They will respond to you in 3-6 months.

When I checked for my state, turns out Texas requires no license or bond. Boogers.

Not true. There's even a lady you can email to get the latest bond status.

There is a link here or Creditboards with an email addy for the Secretary of State's office (Texas) I got a response in 2 days when I sent an inquiry. I will see if I can find it and post