momo

Can I sue for just my privacy being violated by CRA's?

My credit is fine but I have just realized that one of the CRA's gave all my credit info to a credit grantor that would like me to do business with them. I never even heard of the finance company before. I only opened the letter because it was hand written. I was shocked when it showed all my consumer debt. Not alot...only 5% of my annual salary.

I filed a complaint with the FTC and they said my rights under the FCRA were definetly violated. Loss of privacy so far is all - thank goodness!

According to FTC, only my name and address can be released to an interested credit grantor making an inquiry... not all the amount owed.

Any advice...I am furious and more than willing to expose their error.

Momo

From what I understand, if you've never "opted-out" from the credit reporting agencies, anyone can pull your credit and use it to send you "pre-approved" credit offers and things of that nature.

you need to opt out and pull your report. It will show which companies have pulled your credit. You'll be shocked to see how many. Contact the CRA and each company to deny that they pulled your credit for a permissible purpose.

Did you write this finance company directly and deny that they had permission to look at your credit? what did they say? It is a violation to pull credit without permission. But that whole opt in/out is confusing.

Thanks for all the responses. I am not sure about the hard or soft inquiry but

according to the FTC and my understanding of the CRPA a lender has a permissible purpose but they are only suppose to recieve my name and address. This lender shows up as an inquiry a few weeks ago but was given all my debt...credit card balances, carl loan balance, mortgage etc..

I know the mortgage is public record but the other info, without my permission, is a violation of the CRPA. I have not yet opted out.

Do you all think I am wrong about the lenders being able to recieve the actual figures without my permission? And what is a hard or soft inquiry?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Momo

I think you should talk to a consumer attorney. Look for a referral at www.naca.net. It looks like they took more than what they should have received for a promotional inquiry.

Next, opt out to prevent this from happening again. You can do it online.Google search for web address as I don't have it off top of my head.

And what is a hard or soft inquiry?
A hard inquiry is usually placed when you apply for a loan or when a CA or OC is attempting to collect an outstanding debt. A hard inquiry can be seen by anyone who pulls your credit. A soft inquiry can only be seen by you and is usually the result of companies who want to present you with offers of credit.

I have spoken to the person in charge at the lender's office who sent me the solicitation with my actual debt owed.

He says he doesn't need my permission. It shows up as a soft hit on my CR but he said he buys the info (the dollar amounts owed) from marketing data base companies and it all "perfectly legal".

Any one have any experience with this?

I have spoken to the person in charge at the lender's office who sent me the solicitation with my actual debt owed.

He says he doesn't need my permission. It shows up as a soft hit on my CR but he said he buys the info (the dollar amounts owed) from marketing data base companies and it all "perfectly legal".

Any one have any experience with this?

You need to get this in writing. If he doesn't name the company that sold him this data, then these phone calls are hurting you not helping. Just because he didn't get the info from a CRA doesn't mean that it doesn't violate FCRA. Write him a letter demanding the financial records and where he purchased them. if it is perfectly legal, he will hand them over.

and no I never heard of this.

What terms do you google to find the opt out web address?v Just putting "opt out" gave me over 800,000 pages with multiple business pages and websites. Is there one page to opt out universally?

I think you should talk to a consumer attorney. Look for a referral at www.naca.net. It looks like they took more than what they should have received for a promotional inquiry.

Next, opt out to prevent this from happening again. You can do it online.Google search for web address as I don't have it off top of my head.

((ChristPogo))

In the US: To “opt out” of the selling of your information for marketing purposes by the Credit Bureaus: (1) go to www.optoutprescreen.com, (2) call 888.5OPTOUT (888.567.8688) , or (3) write each Credit Bureau using the Letter to Opt Out of Personal Information Release provided in the Sample Letter Index. To remove your name from mailing and telephone lists obtained from other sources, you may want to contact the Direct Marketing Association.

In Canada:To remove your name from mailing and telephone lists, contact the Canadian Marketing Association.

I copied this from this page

http://creditrepair.arinsattic.com/index.php/creditrepair/articles/category/Resources_CreditReportsandScores/