Iowa Code 8A.504 "set off"

hi,

i need help with this. i just received a letter from my college stating they are holding my state tax refund of $402 under the authority granted them by Iowa State Code section 8A.504.

I graduated over 10 years ago and never had any sort of student loan. I don't believe I owe them any money.

Can they legally do this?

What is the best way to fight this?

thanks,

kdj

thanks. i had read that section of the code, and was unsure if a state university was included. apparently they are, because they have my money.

any tips on how to appeal this? i have 15 days to respond. i just don't understand how, even if i did owe them money, that they can collect on a 13 year old debt.

the last time i checked my cbr's there was nothing showing from the university on there, so I'm not sure why after all this time it's coming up.

thanks,

kdj

From what I understand, there is NO SOL on student loans, but perhaps someone can correct me on this.

You are correct. And I believe last fall there was a case upheld by the Supremes that permits your social security to be garnished for student loans.