GEICO Insurance Hard Pull without SS# ??

DucknCover

I'm in the process of relocating for a new job and was curious as to what car insurance prices were in the area where I intend to relocate. I filled out an on-line application with GEICO using a bogus address (I don't have an address there yet) and did NOT give them my SS#. I was not interested in buying insurance yet, just fishing for a price. The address in the email they sent me is the bogus address I used to get a rate for that city. I don't live there. Some how using only my name, they managed to pull my report from TU. GEICO emailed me this:

Duck N. Cover

76 Elm St.

HARRISBURG PA 17111

02/12/07

724xxxxxxx

FAIR CREDIT REPORTING ACT NOTICE

As a result of your recent rate quote or renewal, we obtained information about you from the consumer reporting agency listed below. That information was used in combination with other factors to determine the rate that you were provided.

Trans Union

National Disclosure Center

2 Baldwin Place, PO BOX 1000

Chester, PA 19022

or call 1(800)645-1938

Since we may have been able to offer you a lower rate had the report been more favorable, we treat our decision as an adverse action under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. You have the right to obtain a free copy of a consumer report from the reporting agency listed above, provided your request is made within 60 days of receiving this notice. You also have the right to contact the reporting agency listed above to dispute the accuracy or completeness of any information in the consumer report provided. The reporting agency did not determine your rate or play any part in our decision and is unable to provide you with specific reasons for our decision or how the rate was determined.

Government Employees Insurance Company

GEICO General Insurance Company

GEICO Indemnity Company

GEICO Casualty Company

Message ID: RQ xxxxx

Version Number: 66 xxx xxx

It's SOP in the Insurance industry to provide a quote AFTER pulling credit. There's really no way to provide you with a price without this. And, as noted, your SS# is not the be-all-end-all of credit. They pulled with the address you provided, so you have added that data to your TU consumer file. You'll need to correct that in the future.

Just be glad they didn't pull all 3.

It's SOP in the Insurance industry to provide a quote AFTER pulling credit. There's really no way to provide you with a price without this. And, as noted, your SS# is not the be-all-end-all of credit. They pulled with the address you provided, so you have added that data to your TU consumer file. You'll need to correct that in the future.

Just be glad they didn't pull all 3.

\

Not sure how they managed to pull off attributing the inquiry to you. They seem to have that ability somehow.

FYI, to my knowledge, credit inquiries for insurance have no bearing on your score and are not viewed by anyone but you.

Some how using only my name, they managed to pull my report from TU.

That is pretty scary stuff. This may explain why I have a few Inquiries that I do not recognize. The CRAs allow Inquiries based upon NAMES only with nothing more. That might be considered as enablement of Identity Theft. Now I know to provide a bogus Name without my SS # anytime I inquire on-line. Thanks for info.

GEICO may followup with a Letter sent to the bogus address and it should be returned. The Inquiry should be easy to delete, but the clerk had illegally obtained and viewed your CR and that frightens me.

They gave me a price with all the normal disclosures that the price was not firm until they checked my credit....blah blah. That statement along with the fact I didn't provide a SS# would lead a "least sophisticated" consumer like me to believe I had not given them permission to pull my credit and that they would not do so until I actually decided to buy. As far as I'm concerned I did not give them permission to pull my credit. If the bogus address shows on my report, I'll have to deal with that. One thing is for sure.... I will NEVER deal with GEICO. By the way... I also did an on line inquiry with esurance. They didn't pull. Besides.... the girl in their commercials with the pink hair is hot! LOL

I will NEVER deal with GEICO. By the way... I also did an on line inquiry with esurance. They didn't pull. Besides.... the girl in their commercials with the pink hair is hot! LOL

OFF TOPIC- but I changed my car insurance last year. Had Progressive. GEICO was much higher than the insurance I had currently (my experience is that their rates are high). Esurance was pretty good. About 30% less. But Liberty Mutual was even less. About 40% less than Progressive and HALF of the price of GEICO. My policy went from $1400 to $850 by spending an hour shopping around, and my underinsured/uninsured and medical liability limits were doubled.

OFF TOPIC- but I changed my car insurance last year. Had Progressive. GEICO was much higher than the insurance I had currently (my experience is that their rates are high). Esurance was pretty good. About 30% less. But Liberty Mutual was even less. About 40% less than Progressive and HALF of the price of GEICO. My policy went from $1400 to $850 by spending an hour shopping around, and my underinsured/uninsured and medical liability limits were doubled.

That's interesting, jq. I dealt with Geico years ago-- car insurance. I asked for a quote for renters insurance. Bwaaaahaaahaaa! Its was almost 1,000.00 a year. And I was a college student then with little property. They are nuts.

I think that varies-

Esurance just jacked my auto insurance rates up last year. Since I had just added a teen son who was driving, I didn't bother to check other rates, I just renewed. $2600 every six months. Ouch!

At the first of the year, my son was now on his own insurance. I went to renew, and they wanted $2800 every 6 months.

I called GEICO and they only wanted $450 for 6 months. BIG DIFFERENCE.

I have Geico now.

I think that varies-

Esurance just jacked my auto insurance rates up last year. Since I had just added a teen son who was driving, I didn't bother to check other rates, I just renewed. $2600 every six months. Ouch!

At the first of the year, my son was now on his own insurance. I went to renew, and they wanted $2800 every 6 months.

I called GEICO and they only wanted $450 for 6 months. BIG DIFFERENCE.

I have Geico now.

Not just a big difference---That is a colossal difference. 2800/6 months for no teens??? Geesh!

BIG DIFFERENCE.
You're not kidding! I'm amazed there is such huge disparities in rates when insurance has been commoditized. With information on company rates so easily acccessible with online quotes and comparisons, I'd think they'd all match rates to remain competitive. Guess not. Best to test the waters and shop around periodically!

I do love the GEICO commercials though. The caveman that sees himself on the airport GEICO billboard is priceless.

They gave me a price with all the normal disclosures that the price was not firm until they checked my credit....blah blah. That statement along with the fact I didn't provide a SS# would lead a "least sophisticated" consumer like me to believe I had not given them permission to pull my credit and that they would not do so until I actually decided to buy. As far as I'm concerned I did not give them permission to pull my credit.

If the bogus address shows on my report, I'll have to deal with that.

Exactly. You had not given them permission. Geico and its clerk should be dealt with immediately before he/she gets any wild ideas. Some crooked clerk at Geico has access to all your information. You should nip it (Identity Theft) in the bud. Clerks like that cannot be trusted.

"...the CRAs allow Inquiries based upon NAMES only with nothing more..."

Anytime your credit is requested, the information you provide is placed into fields that coincide with data on record. Computer software attempts to match what you give with what's already there. Social Security numbers have never been high priority, since Public Records are not accessed by SS#'s, and other reasons.

So the merge logic goes something like this:

Last Name

Zip Code

First Name

City, State

Street Address

Middle Name/Initial

(previous address(es), if provided or known, with ZIP CODES being the most important)

SS#

DOB

Employment data, Spouses Name or anything else that might identify you

As someone who pulled credit frequently, I can tell you that you get much more accurate CR's by pulling with the correct name and addresses than by pulling with Name & SS# alone. This is also the reason to work, for accuracy, off of your raw bureau files {your 'Consumer File' as defined in the FCRA} rather than a 3rd party tri-merge.

"...You had not given them permission. GEICO and its clerk should be dealt with immediately..."

A misunderstanding about whether or not an inquiry will take place is best 'dealt with' by educating the consumer. Last time I shopped for insurance, I specifically asked if a quote could be provided without pulling my credit. GEICO and many other major insurers all told me "No". If you want a specific price, you have to provide specific data.

"...all the normal disclosures..."

As required by law...