Question for/about EMT's/credit reports

Scooter

My son is half way through his EMT courses!

He has the same first and last name as my BIL who doesnt pay his bills!!!

A collector called my son and said "this item is on your credit report, you will not be able to get a job as an EMT until all of your collections are paid even though they are not yours".

Is this true? Do government workers have to have good credit to hired? My son is starting to panic because there are some things on there that don't belong to him.

Have your son pull a CR from each CRA to find what is listed. Then, send each respective CA, or reporting party, a letter requesting they prove validity of debt. If you can prove the age of your son was under 18 at any time the listed debts were first opened, all you need to do is show this. Why is becuase a minor cannot enter into a contract. Also inform as to the BIL's name and his, especially if the middle name is different, as well as addresses of both your BIL and son's. Remeber, if the BIL lived somewhere else, it is easily proved as your son lived with you.

As to your question of hiring practices, it is sometimes true, depending on employer. In my career, we went through credit checks in some places, but, not all. I handled millions of dollars and also had to take periodic polygraphs, but, again, not in each place.

In short, if you start now, you should be well involved by the time he graduates. Therefore, if any remain at time of hire, you will have sufficient proof of errors in name.

Your son really needs to ensure that his raw bureau data is absolutely correct. Then, if he has any problem, he has a correct report that can be provided.

Credit is pulled by matching up name and address(es). So, anytime a 3rd party 3-n-1 report is pulled, a merge with your BIL's credit is possible. This can't be fixed, it's a consequence of the Merge. But, he can be proactive.

Your son will know if his credit is to be pulled in connection with a job interview. Permission is granted by either signing the application (the fine print authorizing a review into past employment and other info) or a separate sheet of paper. When he hands this in, he can tell the interviewer that he knows a similarly named Uncle's bad data frequently appears on his CR. He can offer his 'accurate' EQ, Exp or TU report (whichever looks best) for clarification.