Fraudulent Checks and my Bank

lolah

Okay, this is a long story, so please read it all.

I was involved in an internet scam involving fraudulent travelers checks. When I presented the checks at my bank, the teller and her supervisor looked at them and went ahead with the transaction. 2 days later I got some more in the mail and felt like something was "off", so I called the Visa Travelers check people immediately. They informed me they were in fact fraudulent. So, Saturday morning, I call the bank (before they received the cashed checks back) to inform them of the situation.

But, get this -- When I spoke to the teller supervisor she stated that after I left, both she and the teller noticed that one of the checks "didn't look right, but they ran it anyway". If they KNEW it wasn't good, they should have informed me immediately. I could have returned to the bank and gave them the money back and avoided this whole hassle.

They charged all of it back to my bank account ($3000) and sent me to collections. I spoke to the collector over my account and she said that the amount I can pay ($100/month) isn't enough and would take years to pay.

That being said --

1) I understand I am liable because I cashed the checks - even though I didn't know I was being scammed.

2) Since the bank is the OC, can they refuse payment arrangements?

I have already contacted my lawyer, but had to leave a message. I am not sure what my rights are concerning the collection activity here.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Where's the money? That is, can you retrieve any of it? How long ago did this take place? I don't believe the OC (bank) has to negotiate with you. In this case they are not a creditor, they are a victim. You passed a bad check (fraud) Even though you yourself were duped. Definitely speak with your attorney, Perhaps if you are able, you could take out a legit lone and pay it back, I definitely would not want this going to court, I believe there could be criminal charges brought if they really wanted to push it.:shock:

Just went in and read some of your other posts, do you have any family that could bail you out of this one?

I sent it by Western Union overseas. I tried emailing the person who I was in contact with. Surprisingly, he responded, but I am not getting my hopes up. I did speak with my attorney and he advised me to file complaints with the FTC and the Attorney General. So, I did.

Also, I am trying to make payment arrangements but they are not willing to take them. (what I can afford, that is) I am going to send my offer in writing...just for a paper trail in case this does go to court. My attorney did say that he doesn't see them filing criminal carges against me..and to make sure and keep records of everything to show that I was scammed as well.

I don't have anyone to bail me out and don't have the credit to get a loan. I know I have to pay them back and intend to do so, but unfortunately, not on their terms.

Any advice?

Advice.....You do not get money for nothing in a clean way. Anytime in the future that anyone says they'll give you $xxx but first you must give $x to get it or whatever, Make this pop into your head...!!!SCAM ALERT!!!... Do not believe any contacts from Nigeria and do not give anyone money expecting a return unless it's your investment broker that you contacted first.

You've retained council follow his advice. Talk to the bank again and see if they will convert this to a regular lone so they may not feel so ripped off. So far you have $3000. of their money and they have no interest or lone origination fees or collateral to show for it.

Also since you were suckered once, word will get around their circles, you can expect many more attempts.