Are emails legally binding?

About a year ago, I was contacted at work by a CA seeking a debt several years old. My desk was in a department where everyone could hear what I was saying, and I really didn't want to discuss this in front of them. I gave them my email and ask if we could discuss this further via e mail and they did. I was very busy and wanted to get them off my back and agreed to make payment arrangements (through an email) until I realized it was for an old debt that I do "not" owe.

If they sue me in court, (even though the SOL has expired by the DOLA on my CR), can they use a print out of that email to claim the SOL was tolled by it?

I'm only asking because I know that emails have to be new to legal issues, can be altered and it wasn't signed of course.

I would appreciate any advice.

If they sue me in court, (even though the SOL has expired by the DOLA on my CR), can they use a print out of that email to claim the SOL was tolled by it?

Email is admissible. You could make them go through some hoops to get it admitted, but the fact that it is an email does not preclude its introduction.

They could, indeed, unless your state law says otherwise. In California, if you make a contract via email, it's considered a written contract, but it's not a signed written contract absent a digital signature (which requires a crypto key of some sort). In other words, most email falls somewhere between oral and signed in power.

There is, just as there would be for anything "in writing," a rebuttable presumption that it came from you.