NCO can KMA!

mommabear

I have recently started on the long road to credit repair. I sent (online) my first batch of disputes to Experian about 2 weeks ago. Everyday I log in and check the status. Everyday, all 4 disputes stay "pending". This morning, however, the stupid, paid collection to NCO for $69 has changed to "remains".

Yes...$69.

A little back story...

My husband and I used to live in a duplex owned by his mother. She lived on one side and us on the other. She passed away in June 2002, and we sold the house December 2002.

A few months later, I get a collection notice from NCO about a water bill. I paid it without a second thought.

I am 99% sure that this bill was for his mothers house. We had the same last name, and the house numbers were similar (hers was 905 and ours was 907). The same thing had happened with her power bill. Knew nothing of it until one day, I had checked my credit report and there was a derog. from Illinois Power for like $600. I disputed it (its been a couple years) and it looks like its not there anymore.

This NCO really is the least of my concerns...it has the lowest balance (but...a derog is still a derog...right) and will be the first to drop because its the oldest. But still....I don't like it. I want it to go away! lol. Thanks for listening to my rant.

No...lol. I don't think the debt is mine, although I paid it. I think it was my Mother in law's. Right after we moved here (late 2002), is when I got the letter from NCO. I just paid it...and assumed that was that. We had all of her mail forwarded here, and her will clearly stated to pay all her debts out of her estate. Which is what I did. I'm thinking that since we had her mail forwarded here and we had the same water company, somehow they just all bills from that duplex should go to me. (My husband's name wasn't on anything...they told me that we would have to close accounts then reopen them in order to have both names on the accounts...that included new account processing fees...I decided it wasn't worth the hassle)

As for it being the correct balance...I have no idea. I suppose I could look through cancelled checks and try to find it. But, the report is showing that it was opened 8/2003, which I know is incorrect...the water itself had been on for years, and we haven't lived there since 9/2002.

I'm just aggravated that this piddly collection is on my record.

I had one.. they never DV'd kept sending notices.. so I went online to the Attorney General of PA website and filed a complaint.... I got tired of them NOT responding.. low and behold they NOT only sent an apology letter once the AG contacted them (they were spanked hard by the AG in their state a year or two a go )... anyway.. as soon as they got involved I got an apology letter and it was dropped..

you can file the complaint online... its easy and the AG was VERY resposive in their state..

Momma bear,

If your disputes come back verified....DV NCO and that should do the trick....if not, send an email to the higher ups listed in the thread. Its a small account and I can not see NCO spending too much time on it. I wouldn't think that they would want the headache after all the legal trouble they have been through...