Trying to settle medical bill

Mrsrsfrey

I sent a VOD letter to collection agent for a medical bill. Received breakdown of bill, and I only owe $53. Sent a PFD letter giving 15 days to respond. Haven't heard anything back. I called the OC asking if they could pull the file back and I'd pay them directly, was told that they couldn't do that. She called the Collection company and was told it was illegal to do a PFD (I know that isn't true). When looking at all three credit reports, this is what is listed...

NATIONAL RECOVERY AGEN

TU EX EQ

Creditor Name: NATL RECOVER NATIONAL RECOVERY AGEN

Account No.: 1844342 1844342 1844342

Original Creditor: MED102 MITRICK POLLACK

ORTHO ASSOC MITRICK POLLACK ORTHO ASSOC

Responsibility: Individual Individual Individual

Condition: Derogatory Open Derogatory

Original Balance: $53 $53

Balance: $53 $53

Date Opened: 01/13/2005 01/2005 01/2005

Date Reported: 02/04/2007 02/04/2007 02/2007

Remarks:

[TransUnion] Account information disputed by consumer, meets FCRA requirements

[Experian] Account in dispute - reported by subscriber

[Equifax] Consumer disputes this account information

Medical

Subject has not satisfied debt.

Do we have violations? Equifax doesn't have the collection company's name, and EX doesn't show how much is owed. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mrsrsfrey

I sent a VOD letter to collection agent for a medical bill. Received breakdown of bill, and I only owe $53. Sent a PFD letter giving 15 days to respond. Haven't heard anything back. I called the OC asking if they could pull the file back and I'd pay them directly, was told that they couldn't do that. She called the Collection company and was told it was illegal to do a PFD (I know that isn't true). When looking at all three credit reports, this is what is listed...

NATIONAL RECOVERY AGEN

TU EX EQ

Creditor Name: NATL RECOVER NATIONAL RECOVERY AGEN

Account No.: 1844342 1844342 1844342

Original Creditor: MED102 MITRICK POLLACK

ORTHO ASSOC MITRICK POLLACK ORTHO ASSOC

Responsibility: Individual Individual Individual

Condition: Derogatory Open Derogatory

Original Balance: $53 $53

Balance: $53 $53

Date Opened: 01/13/2005 01/2005 01/2005

Date Reported: 02/04/2007 02/04/2007 02/2007

Remarks:

[TransUnion] Account information disputed by consumer, meets FCRA requirements

[Experian] Account in dispute - reported by subscriber

[Equifax] Consumer disputes this account information

Medical

Subject has not satisfied debt.

Do we have violations? Equifax doesn't have the collection company's name, and EX doesn't show how much is owed. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mrsrsfrey

As long as the CRs are areporting as disputed, which they are, you don't have anything . . . YET. Keep an eye on it and as a quote from the movie, Field of Dreams, "If you build it, they will come."

You can catch them on a violation if they don't report a tl as disputed? Is this after you dispute with the cra or after you dispute with the ca or oc?

Dispute with the CRA. It holds the CA's feet to the fire. Then you'd have both, BUT you have to be able to show actual damages.

All three CRA's are reporting it as disputed. I have disputed with CRA's, all came back verified. I was going to send them one more letter advising them to cease all communication with me and to return it back to the OC. But I came across a HIPPA letter that might get their attention. When I first sent them a VOD, they answered with a copy of the dr bill, detailed in what I had done at the doctor's office. I found info on privacyrights.org the following....

HIPAA says the healthcare provider or health plan may disclose only the following information about you to a collection agency or credit bureau.

Name and address.

Date of birth.

Social Security number.

Payment history.

Account number.

Name and address of the one claiming the debt.

Of course, the name of the healthcare provider may contain clues to the medical condition of you or members of your family. Recent amendments to the federal FCRA enacted by Congress in 2003, the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act, change the way medical collections appear in credit reports. The names of healthcare providers must be masked if they would disclose the type of medical condition for which you sought care. For more about medical information and new FACTA rules, see PRC Fact Sheet 6(a), www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs6a-facta.htm#7

So I am going to send a HIPPA letter instead to th CA, and another letter to the contact person I have at the dr's office.

Mrsrsfrey

You can catch them on a violation if they don't report a tl as disputed? Is this after you dispute with the cra or after you dispute with the ca or oc?

I disputed with the CRA and the CA. The CA validated the debt is mine but it does not show on my report as being in dispute.

How can i get them for this violation?

I also told the CA i would pay if the sent in writing to delete, the CA said they couldn't send that in writing, should i send a check and saying cashing this check you agree to delete?

There is no private cause of action under HIPPA, so using that statute as leverage won't work.

I would write a sad goodwill letter to the provider hiimself ( not the office battelax) telling him how onderful he is and how bad you feel this was not paid but you had trouble wiht your carrier and there was confusion between the carrier and his office ( if that is true) and it took a while to shake out that you owe the money. Also, the mark on your CR ( which stays on there for 7 years) is the only baddie on your otherwise great history and you know it is not his intent to trash people's credit. Send him a money order for the amount and note that you are sending $10 in his name to the Arthritis Foundation as a token of your goodwill and apology for the incomvenience and ask him to show his goodwill by telling the CA to delete the item, which thwey CAN do if he tells them to. Send the letter " Personal & COnfidential - unofficial business) and send it priority mail if you want to make sure it gets there ( certified will raise the office manager's hackles).

I have had success with this in the past. You might, too.

There is no private cause of action under HIPPA, so using that statute as leverage won't work.

I would write a sad goodwill letter to the provider hiimself ( not the office battelax) telling him how onderful he is and how bad you feel this was not paid but you had trouble wiht your carrier and there was confusion between the carrier and his office ( if that is true) and it took a while to shake out that you owe the money. Also, the mark on your CR ( which stays on there for 7 years) is the only baddie on your otherwise great history and you know it is not his intent to trash people's credit. Send him a money order for the amount and note that you are sending $10 in his name to the Arthritis Foundation as a token of your goodwill and apology for the incomvenience and ask him to show his goodwill by telling the CA to delete the item, which thwey CAN do if he tells them to. Send the letter " Personal & COnfidential - unofficial business) and send it priority mail if you want to make sure it gets there ( certified will raise the office manager's hackles).

I have had success with this in the past. You might, too.

Wow, this sounds great but I do have a couple questions for you?

Would this work for a vet bill?

Is there any point bothering if the bill is beyond 3 yrs old???

We have some medical bills that are from 2001 (63.00), 2002 (97.00,236.00), and 2003 (648.00) but they're trying to report a last payment from 2006).

My sis use to work in medical billing collection and she almost puked when she saw some of the amounts they'd sent to collection. She says she never would authorize sending accts to collection that were under a certain amount and that she always bent over backwards to accept payment arrangements. Gosh--wish folks like here were MORE abundant! LOL.

So, whatcha think?

Elyse

What are the reasons for this balance going to collections in the first place? Was it an error on the part of the doctors office?

There is no private cause of action under HIPAA but you can still report this office and they can be in a mess of trouble over releasing this info. HIPAA violations can incur huge fines. So there is some leverage.

Elyse- why would a letter not work with a vet? There's not reason not to try. The thing is that many doctors/vets/dentists are not really aware of what the staff is doing as far as these bills and would not be happy to find out.

I have used the HIPPA process for 3 Medical collections...it worked for all of them.

Just follow Why Chat's instructions EXACTLY.

As far as a Vet bill, I don't have the slightest idea if it would work. Keep in mind that even with a Vet YOUR info is given to the CA, so maybe some statute does apply, but I don't know which one would.

Elyse- why would a letter not work with a vet? There's not reason not to try. The thing is that many doctors/vets/dentists are not really aware of what the staff is doing as far as these bills and would not be happy to find out.

I guess I could try. I tried last year to settle this via the CA to NO avail, that lady was a BIOTCH. My goodness! So, I sent a letter of apology to the vet and told them I'd tried to settle...but I don't know that HE actually got it because I never got a response. :(

Elyse

Just remember that paying a 3-yo medical collection will hurt your score more than leaving it unpaid, at least in the short run. If you are looking for score points in the next 6 months, don't pay it. It even says this on the MyFICO.com website. Paying the collection will "renew" the date of last activity. Instead of getting docked for a 3-yo collection, you'll get docked for a brand new one.