How to proceed, MAF Collections Medical bills.

Pfalz24

I suffered a stroke 5 years ago. I have three accounts in collection with MAF Collection in Tampa. Last Payments where August 2003, so still within SOL.

I had no insurance and took Social Security, two years, to declare me disabled. Simply ran out of money,now don't have enough to pay all at one time.

Have one letter, stating the the account being reviewed for Legal Action. I feel sure that in the next couple days will receive similar letter for the other two. Total About $1800.00 Everything else was taken care of by an uncompensated care program. These are not covered by that program. These are assigned to MAF, talked to each doctors office, they refuse to pull assignments from MAF.

Any advise on how to proceed, can only afford $50 a month per account.

I'm sorry for your illness....medical collections are the worst....:(

If I were in your shoes, I would send them a letter outlining what you will be paying them each month...don't ask them if that will be ok with them, just simply tell them that is what you can afford....remind them that you are on SSDI, so they understand that if they take you to court, it will be the equivalent of trying to take blood from a turnip...make up a budget and send a copy of it to them so you can prove to them that what you can afford is what you can afford....

Keep copies of everything, so in case they do take you to court, you can show that you made every reasonable effort to settle this outside of court.

Anyway, just my $.02....