TL still under OC as charge off - how do I deal with OC?

myscoresawful

I have a Providian Charge off on my CR. I am sure it is due to fall off the end of 2007 or early 2008 (the DOLA shows n/a).

It is not showing up as a collection account, just a revolving charge off with zero balance.

I know I had an account with them, but can't remember ever paying it off, because most of it was late payments and interest, etc.

I would like to have them DV the TL, but have heard sending a DV letter to the OC is different than with a CA.

I would like to have this completely deleted, and as old as it is, I don't think it will be as difficult, especially since it is past the SOL.

How do I proceed?

Thanks in advance,

April

it does say:

"charged off account, transferred or sold"

but still, if they no longer have anything to do with it, shouldn't they have to stop reporting or delete the TL?

Can't I still do a DV or something to force them to delete it since I know they won't have any information pertaining to it still on file?

It sounds like its being reported accurately...its not good, but its accurate.

You can try disputing with the CRA's (if you haven't already) and then if it comes back verified send a MOV to the CRAs. Once you get that, if you still think they don't have any info on file (just because its sold, doesn't mean they don't have records), then you can think about suing.

I sent a letter of verification vs. the validation letter to an OC and they sent a letter saying they will remove it. Now on mine though the SOL had already passed. I have heard verification to OC and validation to CA.

Here is the verification letter that I used: and by the way I just got my second letter today from an OC which has been charged off and is with a CA and they said they have no record of this account and wanted me to send more information, which I am NOT going to do. This one I intend to send to Providian as well for my fiance who has two TL's with them.

Original Creditor

Address

Address

Re: Account #: _______________

Date:

To Whom It May Concern:

I am in receipt of your letter claiming that I owe your company for a debt. According to the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, I have a right to have the alleged debt validated. I have to date, received no proof that I owe your company a debt and am requesting that you forward all proper documentation to me proving this alleged debt.

As per the FDCPA, it is a violation for any debt collector to pursue collection activity on an account without notifying the debtor in writing within 5 days after any communication. Additionally I am allowed 30 days to dispute the validity of the debt.

If you are unable to provide me with proper proof then you must stop attempting to collect this alleged debt. If you continue to claim I owe a debt that you cannot confirm then you will be in direct violation of the FDCPA. Additionally, any attempt on your part to report this alleged debt to my credit reports will be a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Please forward your documentation to me upon receipt of this letter. Please note that proper documentation is not a print out or bill from you but rather actual proof of the debt's existence.

Sincerely,

Your name

Address

Here is the verification letter that I used: and by the way I just got my second letter today from an OC which has been charged off and is with a CA and they said they have no record of this account and wanted me to send more information, which I am NOT going to do. This one I intend to send to Providian as well for my fiance who has two TL's with them.

great! Thank you very much! If I were you, I would just reply with, "look at my credit report, the only information I have about it is what I see there, you know as much as I do"....but that's just me :)

Thank you for your help!

• 4 weeks later...

Original Creditor

Address

Address

Re: Account #: _______________

Date:

To Whom It May Concern:

I am in receipt of your letter claiming that I owe your company for a debt. According to the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, I have a right to have the alleged debt validated. I have to date, received no proof that I owe your company a debt and am requesting that you forward all proper documentation to me proving this alleged debt.

As per the FDCPA, it is a violation for any debt collector to pursue collection activity on an account without notifying the debtor in writing within 5 days after any communication. Additionally I am allowed 30 days to dispute the validity of the debt.

If you are unable to provide me with proper proof then you must stop attempting to collect this alleged debt. If you continue to claim I owe a debt that you cannot confirm then you will be in direct violation of the FDCPA. Additionally, any attempt on your part to report this alleged debt to my credit reports will be a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Please forward your documentation to me upon receipt of this letter. Please note that proper documentation is not a print out or bill from you but rather actual proof of the debt's existence.

Sincerely,

Your name

Address

You sent this to an OC? It kind of sounds like a DV letter. Was this an old account? Let us know if you have any luck getting them deleted.