What's my next course of action? CA calls again on work #

blurred

Answer these questions:

Who is calling you?

Are they, in fact a Debt collector or are they the original creditor?

If they are a debt collector, the next time they call ask them for their address.

If they are the original creditor, explain to them that you may not receive calls at work.

WRITE THEM A LETTER (NO EMAILS, NO FAXES, NO ON LINE DISPUTES) AND PUT IT IN THE MAIL. Yes, go to the post office and get a Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested and put it on the envelope all filled out (If you don't know how to do this, a Postal employee will help you)and pay the $4.64 postage.

KEEP THE RECEIPTS!!!

In the letter to the collection agency, the letter should say the following:

DEAR COLLECTOR:

I DISPUTE THE VALIDITY OF THIS DEBT.

I REFUSE TO PAY.

CEASE ALL COMMUNICATION EFFORTS WITH ME, INCLUDING BY PHONE, THE MAILS AND THE LIKE.

(Or in the alternative, you can take the sentence about the communication and say that you cannot receive calls at work and you want to communicate only in writing. That usually gets a good violation or two out of them. 8-) )

SINCERELY,

YOUR NAME

Once you get your green card back in the mail, keep a hold of it, put it in a folder with a copy of he letter. Then go to http://www.krumbein.com/documents/collection_activity_log.pdf and download the collection activity log. Keep track of how many times they call and harrass you.

Then find yourself a lawyer in your area who can help you at www.naca.net You're looking for one who is experienced in FDCPA.

I REFUSE TO PAY.

CEASE ALL COMMUNICATION EFFORTS WITH ME, INCLUDING BY PHONE, THE MAILS AND THE LIKE.

CAUTION- if you put either of those comments, it is called a C&D. That forces the CA to either stop collecting altogether, or sue. You are better off saying "My employer does not allow me to receive personal calls at work."