Loan Cosolidation / Charge-offs / several creditors claiming debt for same loan!!!!!!

divorce&bankruptcy

To put it mildly, my credit is in the toilet. I have little expectations of ever getting a FICO over 300 until my death. I went to graduate school and got sick, disabled, unemployed, and then underemployed.... I owe over $110,000 in student loans most of which are defaulted and about to be consolidated within the next month. I pulled my credit report (EQIFAX) and to my astonishment there are some still listed with the original guaranantors (spelling?) (banks), some servicers, some as collections, and some listed under my bankruptcy. How do I get the multiple listings of the same blank, blank, blank loans off the report? Do I dispute them as being owned by Department of Ed Consolidation people and hope they don't bother verifiying them? Can each of the guarantors, servicers, collections and consolidation people claim the same debt indefinitely? :confused:

To put it mildly, my credit is in the toilet. I have little expectations of ever getting a FICO over 300 until my death. I went to graduate school and got sick, disabled, unemployed, and then underemployed.... I owe over $110,000 in student loans most of which are defaulted and about to be consolidated within the next month. I pulled my credit report (EQIFAX) and to my astonishment there are some still listed with the original guaranantors (spelling?) (banks), some servicers, some as collections, and some listed under my bankruptcy. How do I get the multiple listings of the same blank, blank, blank loans off the report? Do I dispute them as being owned by Department of Ed Consolidation people and hope they don't bother verifiying them? Can each of the guarantors, servicers, collections and consolidation people claim the same debt indefinitely? :confused:

You dont get them off. Your previous lenders/servisers are entitled to report for 7 years from the claim paid date or the date the account was paid. Of course there balance should indicate zero but per the HEA, they are entitled to report.

To put it mildly, ...owe over $110,000... about to be consolidated within the next month..... listed under my bankruptcy.

How do I get the multiple listings of the same blank, blank, blank loans off the report?

? :confused:

LynnInMN - is correct regarding transactions staying for 7 years on your report. I have seen people's credit reports that had old debts resurface from 12 years proir. A collection company can reopen that debt and can report as current. Then it stays on your report for another 7 years.......:shock:

You mention Bankruptcy - the best you can do is contact the credit bureaus, have them list the debt was included in your bankruptcy. Zero out the amount owed. Make sure your credit report is kept up to date.

LynnInMN - is correct regarding transactions staying for 7 years on your report. I have seen people's credit reports that had old debts resurface from 12 years proir. A collection company can reopen that debt and can report as current. Then it stays on your report for another 7 years.......:shock:

You mention Bankruptcy - the best you can do is contact the credit bureaus, have them list the debt was included in your bankruptcy. Zero out the amount owed. Make sure your credit report is kept up to date.

Student loans are not dischargable in BK. While they are in stay period, they will be listed included in BK. However once the BK is discharged, most lenders remove the notations and update the accounts.

• 7 months later...